Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question about IE and Windows 10?

466 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
So, someones going to give me this Windows 10 laptop, that they have had for a few years as a spare but hasnt used it much, and is clearing space out and didnt use it enough to warrant keeping it.

My question is, if I end up getting it and run Windows Update on it, is there any way I can get it to update everything except for IE? I am aware that I wont get security patches not updating IE, but I want an older version of IE for a specific reason, and do not use it for anything but that (I dont even use it for said reason much).

Im asking, if there is any way I can update Windows 10 without updating IE in the process?

And if there is, would it affect the computer in a negative way besides IE security patches and explots? (I am fully willing to take risks involved with security patches and possble unpatched explots.)

#2 ·
The Internet Explorer 11 browser comes with and is built into Windows 10.
You cannot downgrade to an older version, such as 8 or 9 or 10.

When Windows 10 releases a new cumulative update or security update, it occasionally updates Internet Explorer.
As of this date, the current version is 11.0.180

----------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
The Internet Explorer 11 browser comes with and is built into Windows 10.
You cannot downgrade to an older version, such as 8 or 9 or 10.

When Windows 10 releases a new cumulative update or security update, it occasionally updates Internet Explorer.
As of this date, the current version is 11.0.180

----------------------------------------------------------------
Im not talking about downgrading it to IE 8, 9, or 10.
Im asking if I can have Windows Update not update it further than it already is, like exclude IE updates from the Windows Update. IE 11 works for the purpose, im not talking about downgrading IE entirely. If I needed to downgrade it I would simply use a virtual machine with an older OS in place.

Im just wondering if theres a possible way to have Windows Updates skip IE updates in them.

#3 ·
I used to use Outlook, the email client that came with the MS Office Suite since 2003. Since windows 10...I've been using the Mail App.....it's simple and easy to configure with out all the other stuff that I never used from Outlook in the office suite. I'm plenty happy with the mail app.

#5 ·
I want an older version of IE for a specific reason
I didn't know how else to interpret this comment of yours, other than you want an Internet Explorer version older than 11
if I can have Windows Update not update it further than it already is, like exclude IE updates from the Windows Update.
I'm not aware of any way that you can install the cumulative updates and security updates for Windows 10 and not update Internet Explorer 11.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
I didn't know how else to interpret this comment of yours, other than you want an Internet Explorer version older than 11

I'm not aware of any way that you can install the cumulative updates and security updates for Windows 10 and not update Internet Explorer 11.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Well, thanks.

This is one reason im not a fan of Windows 10, honestly. Not only I hate the GUI (Though easily fixed), on 7 and 8.1 (?) you can get much more control over whats updated, as its not one huge package of updates, but instead several individual updates you can click and unclick which ones you want to install (For the most part, im not including critical updates in that).

#7 ·
Many people don't like Windows 10, so you're not alone.
It handles updates differently than Windows 7 does(I've never used Windows 8), so that takes getting used to.
Fortunately, I have the knowledge and experience to make Windows 10 act and work a lot like Windows 7.
And I still use both operating systems.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.