Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing Google Drive Backup and Sync?

673 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Couriant 
#1 ·
(Windows 10 desktop computer) I've tried downloading this a few times now with the same result: it's in my downloads folder, I click to install, it installs, then.....that's it. I don't see any evidence of the program anywhere....not in File Explorer, the desktop, anywhere. How do I find it, set it up/configure it, etc?

#2 ·
Check the System Tray (bottom right on taskbar, to the left of the clock) Click the up arrow (^) to see all icons there, hover over each to see their name. Backup&Sync is a white cloud with an up arrow in it. Click on that icon to open the program. Click the 3 stacked dots, then click Preferences to configure. It should also create a Google Drive folder, default location is C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\Google Drive

It can also be found in the Start Menu, at the top under Recently Added or in the B's. Should be a folder called Backup and Sync from Google there.

#3 ·
Okay, there is NO UP ARROW! Nowhere; not in systray, nowhere. I access Backup & Sync from the Start menu, it brings up the C:\Users/my username/google drive folder.....and there is no option that I can see anywhere for configuring anything.....it's just "Google Drive" on my File Explorer, and I don't know what to do with it. I've watched multiple YouTube guides for doing this, and in every one, the cloud icon appears in systray, they click on it and configure the blasted thing. I'm lost.....can anyone help me get the Backup & Sync working?

#4 ·
To be clear: 1) there's no backupandsync icon. 2) When I access Back up and Sync form Start or the search bar, I see it under "B," but clicking on it just shows the google apps: docs, slides,etc. There is no evidence backupandsync is anywhere on the computer. Tried downloading and installing it many times; same result.

#5 ·
In Start Menu, click to open the Backup & Sync from Google folder, click the Backup & Sync from Google icon there to start the program.
It should put a cloud icon in the System Tray and open the Google Drive folder in File Explorer. Click on the cloud icon to configure.

If it's not doing that, you may need to uninstall / reinstall it.

Also, try going to Start Menu -> Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Under Notification Area, click 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar'
googledrivesync.exe should be in this list. Set it to 'On' and it won't get hidden.

If there is no 'up arrow' (look like this: ^) in the system tray, then you don't have any hidden icons there. Most apps get hidden by default, but this does depend on your settings.

Also, open Task Manager (press control+shift+esc), click More Details if you see it, on Processes tab, click the Name header to sort the list, under Background Processes you should see googledrivesync.exe in that list (twice). If you don't, then it is not running. Start it via start menu again. If it still won't start and you've uninstalled/reinstalled, may need to check it's log files for the cause. Those are located under here:

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Google\Drive

#6 · (Edited)
Under "processes" there is NOTHING. I've tried everything else you mention.....several times each....ugh......but under "DRIVE" I have a logs folder....should I paste it? It's Upgrade_Logs.log.

As I say, I've tried downloading/installing multiple times.....goes nowhere.

#7 ·
So after starting it, is it listed in Task Manager or not?

I'm not really sure if I can decipher their log files or not. Post and I will try, but no promises.

I have heard mention that deleting the C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Google\Drive folder can fix the problem of it not starting.

See 1st answer here:
https://superuser.com/questions/668078/google-drive-terminates-without-error-on-startup

That's an old thread, but possible still valid. I would try renaming that folder to Drive.old or something.
In order to do that, you would have to kill any googledrivesync.exe process with Task Manager first.

Then start Backup&Sync again. It should recreate that folder. If not, you may need to reinstall.
See if it starts correctly now.

You will have to sign in again, and will lose any previous configuration, but sounds like you haven't configured anything yet.

Am I correct in also thinking you have not used google drive on this computer before? And have no currently synced files?
It should re-sync correctly, but you should backup anything in your Google Drive folder before doing this.

#8 · (Edited)
Based on your edits, it seems you do not have a Backup & Sync icon in your start menu.

In File Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Google\Drive
Do you see googledrivesync.exe there?
Double click on it to start it.

If you want to put it in the Start Menu, right click on the exe, select Pin to Start

and/or

right click on exe, click create shortcut, and move that shortcut to here:

C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Backup and Sync from Google

The first puts it on the right side of the start menu, the 2nd puts it in the alphabetical list on the left side of the start menu.

I do not know why your installation did not put an icon there, but it hints at more issues being possible. If the installation failed to do this, what else may it have failed to do?

Is your user an admin on this computer?

#9 ·
Just to be clear.....honestly, I haven't read all your posts.....but Google Drive and Backup and Sync are two very distinctive pieces of software from Google. Google drive is just like MS one drive.....it shows up in file explorer folders with a green check mark. You access the drive through Googles website. Backup and Sync is actually downloaded to the PC. Where as Google Drive is more of an add-on or extension if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.