Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kali Linux Live with Persistence Not Booting on MacBook Air

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  HowDoesThisWork 
#1 ·
When a try to boot kali live (single boot) from a USB it works. However, when I try to boot kali live with persistence it gives a series of ACPI errors and then stops booting kali, booting into Mac Catalina instead. (photo of errors I see when I try to boot kali live from usb with persistence attached)

How can I boot kali live with persistence on my MacBook Air?

The version of kali I am using is 2020.1 64bit
The image file I downloaded from their site: kali-linux-2020.1b-live-amd64.iso

The USB I am using is a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide.
It has two partitions: Kali Linux and []

The details of the Mac I'm using are below:
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018)
Processor: 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

I already updated Startup Security Utility settings.
Secure Boot is set to: Not Security
External Boot is set to: Allow booting from external media

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi!

To make the kali USB for Mac I tried following the steps in the kali documentation:

Attempt #1

Step 1. I tried to install in terminal but ran into problems so erased the USB then used Etcher
https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/kali-linux-live-usb-install/

Step 2. Then I tried to add persistence by partitioning in the terminal following the next steps on Kali's site
https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence/

At this point I was able to boot kali persistence once, but every subsequent time I got the same error I mentioned in my original message.

Attempt #2

My next attempt was to follow the steps in this video that I found on YouTube (its dated but didn't use Unebootin):
  • Here I ran into further problems because it appears that partitioning options have changed on Mac since then. The only way I was able to partition was to change the format of the disk to Apple Partition.
  • Even when I tried to change the format back, the process stalled and would not complete.
  • After that any process I tried to run with the USB I was using would stall and eventually Disk Utility would stop responding.

I have created a bootable USB Drive for Kali Live with persistence, but that was on a windows machine and I used Rufus. Rufus is only available on windows, so I couldn't replicate the process on my Mac.

This USB Drive would boot into Kali Live on my Mac, but when I try to boot with persistence I get the same error I attached in my first post...and then it boots Catalina.

If any additional information would help please let me know!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.