Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epson WF-4740 software upgrade – now cannot print!

839 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Cookiegal 
#1 ·
System Info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20130128150122.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Hard Drives: C: 464 GB (217 GB Free); S: 1 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 336632U, ver Win8 Pro DPK TPG, s/n 1ZM4D31304K
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 2600, s/n MP2N65K
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

Avast Internet Security, version 20.1.2397 (build 20.1.5069.562), and Avast Firewall. Full scan performed 4/8/20, nothing found.

Problem (sorry it's long, wanted to provide all info I could):

Epson Workforce Pro 4740 all-in-one was bought new and installed in July 2017, setup for wifi printing from two Lenovo laptops running Win 7 SP 1 (one was replaced four months ago by an HP laptop running Win 10). Printer has worked flawlessly ever since. Use it most heavily for scanning, then some printing. Have never used it for faxing (more on that later). Have used only genuine Epson cartridges, and have never (until now) done an Epson software or firmware upgrade.

Thursday 04/02/20 at PC startup saw an alert that an Epson software and firmware update was available. Not sure why but decided to install it. Huge mistake.

After everything was installed, any attempt to print, including the software update's test page, brought up Print-to-Fax dialog, not the normal printer options dialog. Same thing trying to print from Word, Excel, Notepad, browsers, etc.

Four calls to Epson support (last one to a level 2 tech) resulted in same uninstall/reinstall instructions-same issue. each time the install ended in "Cannot install printer driver" error.

Level 2 tech suggested:

• Uninstall, restart, disable firewall/antivirus, install software combo pack again. This gives error when trying to install PC-Fax Driver, then continues to Printer Setup. It detects my printer on wifi network, then errors saying "printer setup unsuccessful." Screenshots of these two error screens are attached.
  • Install printer driver from Printers and Devices, Add Printer. After selecting Epson from Brand dropdown, no WF series printers appear. After clicking "update printers," many newer Epson models appeared, including some WF series models, but not the WF-4740. Should note here, when setting up the Win10 laptop several months ago, Windows Add Printer found a WF-4740 driver, installed successfully, and it has worked fine since-still does, since no update was installed on that PC.
  • Level 2 tech stumped now, only other suggestion is to go back to an earlier Wndows restore point. Restore points now available are two Windows Critical Updates points on April 4 and April 7 (both after the Epson problem started) and then back to July 2019. Not sure I want to go back that far.
At this point the PC and printer can still see each other on network. I can still run Epson Doc Capture to get scans from the printer, just can't print to it.

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've moved the thread back to the Hardware forum as that is where it really belongs. A printer is hardware and anything relating to updating firmware and drivers on such a device is still considered a hardware issue and will likely get more assistance in this forum that in the All Other Software forum.

#3 ·
Ok, and thanks. After it was up most of yesterday, had over 30 views, and no responses, I thought perhaps it might be better in a SW forum, since problem could be driver, firmware, or Win 7 interaction. Search of All Other SW for "printer driver" returned 10 pages of threads, same as HW, so I thought it might get better response there.

But I gladly defer to your experience and judgment. :D

Perhaps you know of a member who's expert at this type of issue and could nudge him or her to take a look? I'd very much appreciate it.

#4 ·
A few months back I set up my wife's new HP laptop running Win 10, moving all her files, email, etc from her old Win 7 laptop.

As part of setup I used the Win 10 "Add printer" function to install driver for our Epson WF-4740 all-in-one which is set up for wifi access. The add printer function found the correct driver for this printer, installed it, and it's been working fine since.

My old Lenovo laptop is still running Win 7 SP 1. Had a problem starting last week with Espon software and firmware update--now cannot install any WF 4740 print driver downloaded from Epson site. (If you want to read more about that, it's at https://forums.techguy.org/threads/epson-wf-4740-software-upgrade-–-now-cannot-print.1242820/)

The Win10 laptop is still printing fine even with the firmware upgrade.

One of Epson support's suggestions for my PC was to try Win 7 Printers and Devices/Add printer. This function, after selecting Epson in brand dropdown, and refreshing the printer list, still does not show a WF-4740 driver.

My question: Where do these Add Printer functions get their updated lists of drivers, and where are the actual drivers coming from when you install one?

#5 ·
I definitely wouldn't restore back to July 2019.

You said you uninstalled the firmware update and then reinstalled it but after uninstalling it did you try to see if the printer worked as it's supposed to?

Did you try rolling back the printer driver to the previous one?

#7 ·
I uninstalled and reinstalled the Epson software package, including the print driver and utilities for scanning, etc. several times.

According to Epson support, there is no way to uninstall/reinstall the firmware (even though several users of earlier Epson printers report in other tech support threads claim they've done it.) Epson says they have no older firmware install packages they can provide, nor is there a way to revert to the original printer firmware via "secret codes" on the printer control panel.

I agree, will def not restore to 7/2019.

Thanks, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.