Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

very slow laptop

766 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
hello, new member here. I have a Windows 10 64-bit DELL laptop that is very slow. everything is slow: boot, launching apps, browsers, etc.
Here is what I have done:
  1. disk cleanup
  2. defrag
  3. Ran System File Checker
  4. Ran the DISM tool
  5. Ran Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
  6. Ran ADWCleaner + MalwareBytes
  7. Ran RogueKiller
  8. Ran RKill
  9. Ran chkdsk /r
  10. removed some apps i did not need
  11. anti-virus
what else can i do? the steps above helped a bit, but it is still slow.

thanks in advance for the support! stay safe and don't endanger others.

#3 ·
To add to this, since you say this is a Dell machine, please provide the service tag so we can get some more information.

If you cannot find the service tag, go to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get serialnumber and press enter. You will get the 7-digit service tag.

#6 ·
#9 ·
Yep, from what I'm able to gather without the benefit of a Speccy report, it looks like it's running an old 1.9 GHz Pentium 2127U Dual-Core, 4 GB of DDR3 RAM and a pokey old 500 GB SATA 5,400 RPM spinner (HDD).

An upgrade to any SSD would definitely help and more RAM wouldn't hurt (if it's capable of more). I don't know if it would be worth it the expense though as that weak CPU would still be a huffing and a puffing.

#11 ·
That would definitely help. According to Crucial.com, it would be $93.99 for 16GB of their fastest RAM and $114.99 for the fastest 1TB SSD, which totals $208.98 (+tax and shipping).

However, would it be worth it when you'd still be running an old 1.9 GHz dual-core Pentium under a measly 100 ppi 15.6" screen. <shrug>

#16 ·
As suspected, it's woefully under powered. A SSD and more RAM would definitely make it feel snappier.

Other that that though, a fresh install of Windows and using Windows Defender (instead of Avast) along with Malwarebytes would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.