1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

‘search…’, and ‘sharing and security’ are missing from context menus in explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bcachot, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bcachot

bcachot Thread Starter

‘search…’, and ‘sharing and security’ are missing from context menus in explorer when I right click a drive letter. This only applies to the drive root for some reason. If I right click on a subfolder, these items ARE in the context menu. Is there any way to fix this? If not, what alternatives do I have for modifying existing shares on my drive roots?

-I’m running XP pro
    -I have tried logging in as Administrator in Safe mode
    -simple file sharing enabled
    -The server service is running

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    This happens to all files (not folders), regardless of the location. I've posted attachments, the first showing a folder, the next showing a file in C:\, and the last in a folder.

Attached Files:

3. bcachot

bcachot Thread Starter

Perhaps I didnt make it clear enough.

I know 'search' and 'file sharing' don't appear when you click on a FILE, they arent supposed to (you can't search or share an individual file!).

The problem is they don't appear when I click on a drive letter. ie, my e: drive is currently shared at the root, but I can't UNshare now because there is no 'file sharing' item on the context menu when I right click the drive letter. Clicking properties doesnt help either because the file sharing tab does not appear, only 'general', 'tools' and 'hardware'.

4. bcachot

bcachot Thread Starter

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Ah. Sorry for misunderstanding.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/521719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice