1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

“Not Enough Memory”

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by blake-roberts, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blake-roberts

blake-roberts Thread Starter

Frequently (eg, when opening another browser window, orloading 'Word'...) I get the message:

“There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again.”

If I just cancel the message and try again, everything works OK.

If, while the message is showing, I look at the system with, eg, Norton Utilities, I see the following info:

Total physical memory: 320MB
    Total Windows memory: 2100MB
    Free: 2024 MB
    Used: 76 MB

In Control Panel/System Properties/Virtual Memory: Virtual memory is set to “Let Windows manage...etc”. The Hard disk is shown as having 11208 MB free.

The File system is set for "Typical Role = Network server.
    Read ahead optimisation = full

I've defragged it to death, "Clean-Sweep" till it sparkles, renamed/deleted Normal.dot...

Can anyone suggest anything else, or why I get these error messages?

kbr

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My guess is that you have too many programs running in the background. Go into the MSCONFIG startup tab and uncheck and disable everything that you do not need to have loading during startup. You might give my article, "MSCONFIG - Reduce Your Startup Load" a look.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

blake-roberts
    My guess is as Franks..... Resource issue! Here is a canned answer I give to people when they encounter this problem.

What you are describing is a classic resource problem but before we get into cleaning up the resource issue lets make sure there are not other factors at play here such as Viruses or Spyware.

You did not mention which Virus protection you have on board and I am sure you are keeping it updated frequently, but lets do a free on-line Virus scan just to make sure something did not sneak by. Go to http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp and run a full scan. If problems are found allow Housecall to assist in the fix.
    After scan is complete do the next step.

Spyware can sometimes cause havoc with programs and Internet activities so lets see if any are there. Go to http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/ and download SpyBot. Once downloaded Unzip to a new folder marked SpyBot. Locate the main prgram Icon marked SpyBot S&D and double click that. Once to main spyBot screen click the online button and retrieve the updates. after updates are displayed place check marks in all boxes and select install updates. Now click the Settings tab then file sets. Once there uncheck "System Internals" and also "Tracks". Now you are ready to run SpyBot to locate any Spyware that may exist on your computer. Clcik the SpyBot S&D tab and click the "Search for Problems" tab. After scan is complete you will receive a clean bill or you will see a listing of items in red that are spyware. We Strongly suggest you remove these from your system.

After the exploration of possible problems above is done and NO Viruses or Spyware were found then move to the step listed as "Clean House and trim Startup".
    If a Virus or spyware was found and removed then run your system for awhile and see if jerky cursor and other problems still exist.
    If so move to next step.

-------------------
    CLEAN HOUSE
    -------------------
    Lets clean house first. Sometimes residual temps, *.tmps, corrupt Internet temps can cause all kinds of problems, so cleaning house helps keep the system running well. If you do this religiously then skip to Trim startup, otherwise
    Step 1- Close all open applications.
    Step 2- Go to start\find and type in *.tmp (no space between asterisk and period) and hit enter. Anything it find shows in right pane are left overs and should be deleted.
    NOTE: The key here is close all apps then do find! Otherwise you may have a file you were working on deleted.
    Go to edit, select all, select delete and click OK to delete.
    Step 3- Now navigate using windows explorer, to the C:\Windows\Temp folder and click on it. Everything in the folder, and within the folders under the Temp folder is fair game for deletion. Delete any items found that have a date older than the date you are doing this. Leave any temps that carry the date you are doing action.
    Step 4- Open Internet Explorer and go to tools\internet options and click on tab to delete temp files, click all offline content and click OK. Now while still there go to temp settings and mark box to check every visit to web-page.
    Step 5- Click OK, Click OK. Close IE.

-------------------
    TRIM STARTUP
    -------------------
    The problem your having may also be a low on resource situation caused by many programs starting up.
    Windows has Two little caches, 64K in size, it uses to control all the action. This cache when it starts to fill will manifest itself in slowdown performance, jerky cursors, system hangs, and sometimes a low on memory message alert.
    This cache is totally independent of your Ram, Hard drive size or any other high power functions. Removing most of those programs from your startup group will definitely improve performance and most will start on demand.
    Step 1- Go to start/run type in msconfig and enter
    Step 2- Select the startup tab and uncheck all listed except (WinME only Pchealth, and *Statemgr)
    systray, scanregistry, loadpowerprofiles (both), Tweakui if there,
    and any antivirus/firewall programs you have
    Step 3-After you made the changes click apply, click OK and restart the computer

See if you problem is fixed. Should be!

Now You will have to review all the Items you unchecked to make sure they are not required for other programs to run properly. Since everyones system has different items in startup, use the two site below to review what items you see in MSconfig startup to see if they are required or can be disabled. One of the easiest ways to work with the lengthy list is create a printed copy to work from and use that for notes while accessing the sites below. To do that follow the steps below.

------------------------------
    MAKE WORK FROM LIST
    ------------------------------
    NOTE: You will have to go back and re-enable all items you disabled using the MSconfig process above and restart system before the items will appear in the instructions you are to do below.
    Step 1- Go to start\run and type in MSinfo32 and hit enter
    Step 2- Once Info screen appears click the plus sing in front of "Software Environment"
    Step 3- Once list expands click to highlight the "Startup Groups"
    Step 4- In the right pane you will see all the items you have starting within the Startup group.
    Step 5- Click file up top and click print.

After reviewing and unchecking items you wish to start click apply, click OK, and Restart.

Your system should now be in top shape!

Little Note if you have McAfee: McAfee software has been known to cause problems with hangs-freezes and other symptoms. If the above trim startup\selective startup does not stop this problem along with all the other items, then disable McAfee and see if the problems go away. If so then you may want to consider another AV program. When and if you disable McAfee be careful since you will not have protection.

Heres a site that will help with the explanation of startup items.
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    Also
    http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    also
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

Dave

PS: Here is some great reading material about resources. Each article leads into the next. Just ignore the suggested Virtual memory settings since they are outdated and drafted for use in Win95.
    Memory errors, leaks, optimizers by Fred Langa
    http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/11.htm
    http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/12.htm
    http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/13.htm
    http://content.techweb.com/winmag/columns/explorer/2000/14.htm

4. blake-roberts

Hi.

Thanks for your interest, but...

Done all that!

Startup is as lean as licked bone. (Using Pacman's list - the big one).
    Adware/Spyware scan daily with Adaware; defrag with Diskeeper.

Antivirus is Norton (SystemWorks 2003) . (I'll try that suggested scan link for an independent check).

The error message is not presaged by any drop in performance (sluggishness etc), it just appears - I suppose I can live with it, as it seems to be a completely spurious alert, and readily disappears with click on "OK".

I'll start looking at those other posted links... you never know.

KBR

5. Rockn

Rockn

What version of Windows are you running and how much physical memory is installed in the PC?

6. blake-roberts

Hi,

Win98SE; 320MB ram. 14GB Hard drive.

kbr

7. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Defragged recently?
    Just a thought. If you're really fragmented that can cause such issues.

8. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Sorry...but you have cleaned out your Temporary Internet and C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folders, right?

I know this may seem like a strange suggestion, but have you tried removing some of your physical memory (maybe get it down to 128 MB), just as a test?

Just a thought.

Columbo

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When you get the error, look at the System Resource percentage. That will confirm if it is a resource issue.

At the time that you are opening a browser window, how many others do you have open?

10. blake-roberts

“have you tried removing some of your physical memory “

I’ve only recently upgraded from 64MB, as part of dealing with this problem, as well as upgrading.

“When you get the error, look at the System Resource percentage”

By the time I get to look at the system resource state, everything looks good. However, when the message comes up, the W98 “Resource Meter” momentarily dips right down, then back up again.

“At the time that you are opening a browser window, how many others do you have open?”

Usually one.

Meanwhile, I’ve installed SpyBot and played with it – it makes Adaware look wussy: the first run flagged up hundreds of “Red” alerts. But then, after confirming “Destroy”, Norton SystemWorks told me I had 213 ActiveX faults!
    Any suggestion about who to believe?

kbr

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

blake-roberts
    If SpyBot found that much residual spyware AdAware did not and you removed it chances are there was allot of ActiveX left orphaned through Spybots Removal process. Leaving the ActiveX orphaned for the time being should not hurt anything and if all appears normal to you through using your computer as you do. After a bit then you can act upon what Norton found. I suspect WinDoctor will advise you to delete most of the controls.

Does your system still exhibit the low memory message now?
    Also was Kazaa on your system and was one of the items removed by Spybot BDE?

Dave

12. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You can also save some precious resources/cpu/etc by not running Windoctor or System Doctor in the background. This really serves no useful purpose.
    Just run them periodically.

13. blake-roberts

HI.

The apparent memory problem is not something I can ever say is present or not: it manifests itself, intermittently, as an error message, accompanied by a momentary dip on the resource meter. Until it happens again - or until it hasn't happened for some time, I cannot say what the state of play is.

Re KazAa: I have KazAa Lite installed, so no BDE

Needless to say, after such a savage SpyBot attack, I did a thorough defrag.

KBR

14. blake-roberts

I think this is fixed!
    How? Beats me but...

Firstly, what I haven’t said before is that I could not deliberately make this condition occur; opening any number of browser windows, while opening Word and Xcel, playing mp3s... had no effect. Ten minutes later, while doing something quite simple, like saving a Word document, up it would come - briefly! Then all would be well again. This would happen several times a day.

Anyway, by chance, I found I had not installed the driver for my MS “Trackball Explorer”, but was using it with the basic Intellipoint software. When I downloaded the correct s/w (Intellipoint 4.1) and tried to install it, I got the following:

Error 1101. Error reading from file C:\Windows\Temp\._isC031\1033.mst

Searching around, I found the knowledge base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329354
    which said:

"Error 1101" When You Try to Install IntelliPoint or IntelliType Pro Software
    The version of the Msi.dll file that is included with IntelliPoint version 4.1 and IntelliType Pro version 2.2 is 2.0.2600.1. This issue is known to occur if the version of the Msi.dll file that is installed on your computer is version 2.0.2600.2. .... (and so forth)

I downloaded the correct version of the Msi.dll file, completeed the installation of Intellipoint 4.1

Not only did my trackball now have all the options it should have, the “Not Enough Memory” error hasn’t occurred since – about a week.

So – there you are. I hope it continues thus, and maybe this will be of help to someone else; meanwhile, thank you all for your interest and patience.

Regards

KBR

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

KBR
    Glad all appears to be well! If the mismatched dll was indeed the cause of your resource problem I would of never even of given it consideration! Hope thats what it was... if not post back and we will see if there are other avenues to look at.

Take care.

Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice