“Entering Power Save” Possibly not software!

reubeniz

Acer issues :

Within about 4 seconds, Screen goes black, shuts down, then “Entering Power Save” message pops up before disappearing again.

Acer V5-571 series, Acer Aspire V5-571-323b8G1TMass, model number MS2361
Intel® Core™ i3-2365M Processor (3M Cache, 1.40 GHz), 8GB Ram, Windows 10 64 bit operating system

I noticed the bottom of my laptop getting hot a while back so I stuck some pencils under it to let the air flow!!!

More recently it would in under 4 seconds suddenly shut down ( with a gentle click of what sounds like the harddrive spinning down ), screen goes black, then message appears “Entering Power Save”

I would turn it back on but this happened about 3 times in one afternoon the other day so i decided something was up. I stopped using the machine in case I would damage it.

I would normally never turn off the machine and it would stay on days at a time.

The conclusion I came to at the time was overheating due to a dusty fan / intake. The Windows settings Plugged In, turn off … after 15 mins etc was already set to Never as the main battery is dead ) so I followed a youtube guide of someone taking the laptop apart and cleaning the fan.

The fan was very dusty and the intake end was full of dust buildup about 10 mm deep. I put everything back together and with fingers crossed pressed the power button. It booted up and ran, stayed running for hours. The heat that was there before had disappeared.

I was relieved to say the least.

Then it started happening again. So I turned it back to double checked the Power Plan was Balanced. Turned everything I could find to Never. In advanced settings, I found some new ones that it seems i had not done before eg “Turnoff hard disk” - Never, “usb settings” - Disabled,. It's possible I may have missed some tho. Not sure any of these settings are the cause.

1 thing of note is that it can now sit idle or just browsing web use for over 5 hours and whilst still idle just turn itself off a few hours later. Sometimes it turns itself off after an hour in use. Use is very light, browsing the internet, viewing photos in default windows app. The trouble is now that all i can use it for as i can risk working on anything meaningful and loosing the work as i get no waning of a shut down.

Ive no idea what wrong or how to fix it but the internet suggests it could be the main board battery, if so ive no idea where that is or where to buy a replacement. Even though the machine is several years old, ive had to replace the screen and the keyboard and main battery have gone i dont think its this but i don't know.

Ive also run “Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool” and everything passed.

CPU use just using chrome seems to be 50% and under.

Is it hardware?
Is it software?
What diagnostics can i run for each?
If something has burnt out can i replace/fix it?
If I need to replace the motherboard what are the details listed above enough and where is the best place to buy?
What can I transfer over appart from ram?
What board should I buy?
If its the processor can i by another if so what and where?
Am I asking all the wrong questions?

Help. i haven't a clue what i'm doing :)

PS
The title of the youtube vid i watched is "Repair Acer Aspire V5 571G 531 Disassembly Cleaning Fan Change HDD Keyboard”

At 6:30 ( time stamped vid below so it should play at that spot ) I was worried about this W-lan ( indicated in video as 2 ) as the connectors were fiddly and needed a little persuasion but everything else seemed to seat well, hopefully.

Have you tried removing the main battery and using the notebook on AC adaptor only, the main power brick being expired can cause various problems whereas the internal CMOS battery that you mentioned will most often only give you a CMOS error and the computer fail to keep the correct time, date & boot sequence.

reubeniz

Have you tried removing the main battery and using the notebook on AC adaptor only, the main power brick being expired can cause various problems whereas the internal CMOS battery that you mentioned will most often only give you a CMOS error and the computer fail to keep the correct time, date & boot sequence.
Thank you for your reply. Its been over 48 hours since and i can believe it.

Your clear vision found such a simple answer that if i ever got to it myself it would have taken a lifetime if i ever.

There is no way i would have though the first thing to do is just take the battery out. I guess because my head got cloudy going through all the other processes i just couldn't see it. I even posted the issue else where and got a suggestion of possible corrupt windows etc witch may well have been where i ended up going with this as i was stuck.

So thank you, truly, thank you.

Yes i took the battery out and its been running for over 48 hrs without turning off witch was unheard of before your input. Maybe im being premature but this is why i waited, so i certainly have more faith now.

Thanks again, you are a star.

Out of curiosity what web based computer shops do you recommend for parts? as I may have a stab and getting another keyboard and trying to fit it again as the last one i got from ebay i seemed to mess up somehow but that could have just been bad luck. Possibly a new battery but this is all price depended as someone suggested that laptops have a 3 year life span so may not be worth investing in if cost is high.

You are welcome and thanks for letting us know that we had been able to help (y)

Depends on where in the world you are and the type of parts that you need as to who best to purchase from.

reubeniz

You are welcome and thanks for letting us know that we had been able to help (y)

Depends on where in the world you are and the type of parts that you need as to who best to purchase from.

No probs, its important where possible as if the solution works, it may help others with the same issue nad so come up in a -search-

Oh im London Uk.

Ive used ebuyer, ebay but oddly enough your right about location as delivery costs are a factor.

Thanks again.

Nice to see such a thoughtful attitude (y)

aria, ebuyer and Scan are three that I use and never had any problem, for items such as notebook batteries, a like for like from the brand when possible but if not possible when an older device, a company with a long and positive trading history,

You are welcome :)

reubeniz

Nice to see such a thoughtful attitude (y)

aria, ebuyer and Scan are three that I use and never had any problem, for items such as notebook batteries, a like for like from the brand when possible but if not possible when an older device, a company with a long and positive trading history,

You are welcome :)
Cheers, to be fair it will probably be lost in all the software solutions for the issue but, hey, you never know. At least its out there now.

Fantastic, 2 newones ( its been a while ). Thanks for the recommendation. That Scan is an eyeopener, guess its only a mater of time before we all have quantum systems or similar !!>

Many thanks again.

Safe Journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts