1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

0-byte downloads

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rpseeley, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

I have two computers. The newer one running Windows 7 and the older one Windows XP. For a while now all attempted downloads on my XP machine don't work. They look like they work, but they're all 0-byes. I have to download the file on my Win7 machine and copy it over to my XP machine. Installing SP3 didn't help. I've done everything I know like cleaning up the registry, but nothing seems to help. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Thank you.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

This may not apply to your circumstances but zero Kb downloads can be very dangerous. What were you trying to download? Also, what did you use to "clean the Registry"?

3. rpseeley

rpseeley Thread Starter

This has been happening for months. The last time I tried to get help here on the issue there were no responses and it was closed out. The downloads that turn up as zero bytes are freeware utilities and programs from sites such as Microsoft and SnapFiles. I've been using EasyCleaner to clean my registry in XP and that rarely. Like I said, I go back and download the same files on my Win7 machine and copy them over to my XP machine. The only other thing I can say about my XP machine is that the Start Menu takes an extaordinarily long time to come up, and I think that probably started about the same time. All the antivirus programs and antispyware programs come up empty (I use Microsoft Security Essentials now). Are U Botted comes up negative. I really really really hate the idea of reinstalling my XP system from a 9-month old image. Hope somebody knows what causes this kind of thing. Thanks for your response.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice