1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

0% Laptop battery, yet fully charged.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RogerX, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

I dont know what happened, but today when I turned on my laptop it consistently shows that my battery is 0%

Obviously this isn't true as im using it right now to post, my laptop also shows that its fully charged (The LED light is lighted indicating that it is 100% charged)

What can I do here? I'm quite sure its not a problem of a virus because i've scanned my computer and all. I am using a Toshiba laptop, using the Toshiba powerplan. And if needing more info, I shall provide but I don't think thats necesary for this problem.

Not sure if this will make a huge impact, however.
    On my laptop there is this wheel that you can turn to increase and decrease the volume. Yeah, this isn't functioning anymore (found both these problems when I turned on my laptop today)

EDIT: Reformatted the Laptop yet both the problems still persist, please help :(

2. vic2pc

vic2pc

What exactly is showing 0% for the battery? Windows itself, or some other third-party battery-monitoring app (maybe provided by Toshiba)?

3. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

Sorry for such an unclear opening.

The Windows itself is showing it at 0%. There is no other indicator installed onto my system.

4. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

5. valis

valis Moderator

doubtful. What is the make and model of the machine?

6. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Toshiba Satellite M200

I have a theory as to why this problem has occured. A family member of mine has recently confessed that she has been turning the computer off through the button (improper shutdown) after telling her the state of which my computer is currently in.

Just to clarify further; I took the AC out while the laptop was running to check if it was actually a battery issue. As a result my system is still running with or without the AC

7. valis

valis Moderator

does the battery still show 0 when it's running on battery?

8. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

EDIT: Nvm

No, strangely its increasing from 0%

Plugged it back in and it goes back to 0%

Dumbfounded.

9. valis

valis Moderator

what do you mean, it's increasing? Whilst unplugged, I assume?

10. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

Yes, you are correct.

11. valis

valis Moderator

Honestly? I'd not worry about it. My lapper at home does the same thing, I just chalk it up to eclecticness. I'm sure it's a low-level issue, but shy of reformatting (which you've already done, and it didn't fix it) I don't think it would fix my issue.

With yours, it's some hardware issue somewhere.....I remember once my 5 year old dumped a sugary drink on my wife's lapper, and even though I disassembled it and cleaned it up, the sucrose eventually wore out the internal voltage regulator, and it would no longer take a charge.

I don't think that this is as severe an issue as this, but not sure yet.

What is it increasing to while it's unplugged?

12. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

I'm really really glad to hear that. Very much believed that this is going to be quite a bothersome issue.

I'm guessing it'll increase to 100% I see the battery (The battery life is very short) increasing 3% to 7% so on and so on. And as stated before it's decreasing back to 0% when the AC is plugged in.

Well... if there isn't too much more to talk about this matter i will validate this thread as a solved :)
    Thank you very much for the help, it meant a lot.

13. valis

valis Moderator

no worries, that's what we're here for.

Odd that it is increasing whilst UNplugged....I'd not mark this solved yet, but monitor it and let us know how high it gets before beginning to drop back down.

14. RogerX

RogerX Thread Starter

Will do that right now.

So far increased to 9% - Very strange thing occured: suddenly it says the current power source is the AC power (Which is obviously unplugged) and now the battery power remaining is unknown.

Will keep updating this post.
    Back to showing battery - at 9%
    decreased to 8% (Starting to believe that my computer has a mind of its own!)
    back to 9%

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice