1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

0x00000024 after bad partition resize

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 99luked, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

Thanks for your time reading!!

I tried tonight to create a partition on my compaqs local master hard drive. I used partition magic 8.0 to resize and then extend on an existing partition. I was asked to restart but came up with error messages something like drive locked error 27.

I then booted into safe mode, and after 4 hours the system still hadn't loaded. I had a feeling this was due to partition magic but as it had been so long I decided to power off, and power on. I'm now faced with error 0x00000024 and a BSOD. I can't boot into safe mode, I can't get to a command prompt, I can't enter the recovery console.

I have read various sites suggesting I download 'ultimate boot CD' and carry out a utility to repair the partition or using a Ubuntu live CD however even after trying different versions I can't boot from CD/DVD!! I can boot from my windows XP CD and these bootable discs work on my laptop instantly, however when I try and boot from CD on this desktop I'm getting no where.

With the windows xp I'm getting the option to format as the drive is damaged. Ideally I need to run chkdsk or a similar utility but how??

I have data on the drive I really want to avoid losing.

Thanks for your time any advice would be appreciated

2. 99luked

99luked Thread Starter

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Partition Magic was a piece of junk even in its prime, but it is far too old to be used on modern systems and was always prone to errors.

Partition errors are generally unrecoverable. You may need to reinstall Windows, repartitioning as part of the setup process.

But you could try partition recovery. And file recovery if you had anything on the drive that you have not backed up recently.

Testdisk (for Windows)
    Testdisk Boot Floppy Image
    Testdisk on Live CD

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!