1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

0x8007042d with Win 7 backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cutupguy, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cutupguy

cutupguy Thread Starter

When I run Windows Backup to save an image to the D: drive (have not tried other drives) I get 0x8007042d after it has run about 12% of the job.

The error says, "Windows Backup Troubleshooting options - Check your backup - The service could not start due to a logon failure - Backup location D: - error code 0x8007042d

After formatting D: the Backup function gave me the error when I tried to launch Backup, so at the moment I can't even start the backup. Error says, "Tha backup application could not start due to an internal error: The service did not start due to a logon failure. (0x8007042d)".

Checked Volume shadow copy service right after the launch failure and it shows the service is running.

I suspect the problem started when I installed or uninstalled Acronis backup software 2011 Home flavor. I removed all the Acronis entries in the registry, ran their fix utility, etc. No help.

I also have Carbonite which also makes an image of C: and saves it on the P: drive - paused Carbonite and Windows Backup still gives 0x8007042d.

Carbonite was installed about the time Acronis was uninstalled. Carbonite seems to be working fine.

At about the same time...I started noticing Not Responding events with a variety of programs. I have a 16gb ReadyBoost flash drive.

Thanks for your help!

Al

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 764998 MB; D: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 305143 MB; P: Total - 1907695 MB, Free - 1530429 MB; T: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 323251 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5G41T-M LX3
    Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 5.0, Updated and Enabled

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Sounds like you may have done some damage to the Registry by manually deleting the Acronis entries.

If you have a restore point you can use that was before the Acronis installation then use that and try the backup again. If no restore points are available then run a Repair install.
    Windows 7 System Restore
    Windows 7 Repair Install

3. cutupguy

cutupguy Thread Starter

System restore also failed, and I ran sfc /scannow and the first time I ran it it replaced some files, but the backup still failed. Running it now shows nothing wrong.

Tried a repair install, but that also did not help.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

There is only twenty minutes between my suggestion to run a Repair Install and your last post, a Repair install takes a lot longer than twenty minutes or did you run this before my suggestion?

Does your Windows 7 installation disc include SP1? If it doesn't you can't use it to Repair your installed OS without first uninstalling SP1.

How far back did you go with System Restore, your saying it did not work which doesn't tell me much, did it run successfully?

The error code you are getting usually means there are missing system files so a System Restore should fix it but it needs to go back before the back up software was installed.

With all drives connected please open Disk Management and send a screenshot of it open to full screen so we can see how your partitions and drives are arranged.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice