1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

0x845cd177 message on HP OfficeJet 7410, hangs printer &| network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mabloom, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mabloom

mabloom Thread Starter

Several other people have reported getting this error code on the screen, but the threads have been closed. I have quite a bit of info to add to the reports.

First, the problem is the result of a barrage of SNMP packets between the printer and SNMP host. These are repetitions of the same SNMP GET-REQUEST and GET-RESPONSE messages. After enough of these packets, one of several things happens:
    1) The printer may flash all of the front panel lights and display the error code 0x845cd177 . It also stops responding to pings.
    2) The printer stops responding to pings without flashing the lights or displaying that aeeror code.
    3) If a wireless router is in use and collecting statistics, the wireless router may run out of memory and hang the entire network until reset. This depends on the amount of memory in the router.

I've examined the wildly repeating packets. Every one of them contains the message "Message: Unresolved value, Missing MIB". I have no idea which MIB is missing, or where to find it.

The barrage also slows down other network activity, due to an "interleaving" effect.
    Going into "services", setting "HP Network Devices Support" to Manual, and stopping the running service will temporarily stop the barrage. Unfortunately, the HP software will restart the service after a while without notifying the "services" plugin, so it will resume the SNMP packet barrage, although the Status column remains blank. The Whatsrunning program can still stop it again at this point.

I have traced it down to there apparently being a retry loop in code within HPSLPSVC.dll, run via "svchost -k HPService", for which there are a number of parameters in the registry. I am hoping that setting one of those parameters can reduce the retry interval to something that will not overwhelm both the printer and the router. The parameters I found are:
    ActivePollInterval
    DequeueTimeout
    DisableNS
    FunctionTimeout
    IncrementBackoffPollInterval
    IPConfigRefreshInterval
    LogLevel
    ManualInstallTimeout
    MaxBackoffPollInterval
    MaxValidatePollInterval
    MulticastReplyTimeout
    Poll
    TickInterval
    ValidatePollInterval
    Any advice will, of course, be greatly appreciated.

I almost forgot: An important data point is that When an HP computer is placed on the wireless net INSTEAD of a non-HP computer, none of the packets contain the missing MIB message, there are only a small handful of SNMP packets, and neither the printer nor router symptoms appear.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972939

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice