0xc0000185 after trying to install game update

Sayori

I was updating Genshin Impact (an online game) and left it to install. When I came back, the screen was black but I could still move my cursor. After a minute, I turned my laptop off. When I tried to turn it on, I was greeted by the error code: 0xc0000185.

image.jpg

I asked on Reddit and was told that since Genshin Impact is an online game, it has anti-cheat which can mess with your computer. What I’m guessing happened is that I quit in the middle of the installation process and the anti-cheat started going ham. I emailed Genshin Impact support, but it’s been 24 hours and no response.

I’ve tried using Windows Installation Media, but I’m not sure I’m doing it correctly. I can’t see it in the boot screen. I’m not sure I’m even on the right screen.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This error usually points to corruption in your Boot Configuration Data (BCD). Here's what to do:

1. Press F1 to enter the Recovery Environment.
  2. This initial screen should give you 4 options:
    1. Continue
    2. Use a device
    3. Troubleshoot
    4. Turn off your PC
  3. Choose the Troubleshoot option and then choose Command Prompt from that screen.
  4. From the screen it opens, follow the commands exactly as show in the graphic below.
  5. Once done, type in Exit and reboot the machine.
RebuildBCD.jpg

Sayori

This error usually points to corruption in your Boot Configuration Data (BCD). Here's what to do:

1. Continue
    2. Use a device
    3. Troubleshoot
    4. Turn off your PC
  3. Choose the Troubleshoot option and then choose Command Prompt from that screen.
  4. From the screen it opens, follow the commands exactly as show in the graphic below.
View attachment 291479
F1 just turns off the computer and sends me to the same screen.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Okay, what's the exact make & model of your laptop? If there's a serial number on it, that would be useful as well.

Sayori

1. Continue
    2. Use a device
    3. Troubleshoot
    4. Turn off your PC
View attachment 291479
So I managed to get a Windows Installation Media USB and can now get to the command prompt. But when I type “bootrec /rebuildbcd”, it says I have 0 identified windows installations.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If it's stating that, it means it's not finding the Windows installation. You can point it manually, but I have to caution you to be careful with this one. If you repeat the steps and can get to the Troubleshoot option, please enter the following exactly in the command prompt:

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Presupposing this is successful, go back to the screenshot I provided and then repeat the commands sequentially.

Sayori

If it's stating that, it means it's not finding the Windows installation. You can point it manually, but I have to caution you to be careful with this one. If you repeat the steps and can get to the Troubleshoot option, please enter the following exactly in the command prompt:

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

Presupposing this is successful, go back to the screenshot I provided and then repeat the commands sequentially.
Boot files successfully created, but it’s still not identifying Windows installations.

You have to try C: D: E: F: ..... and do DIR to see which drive holds the Windows folder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online