1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[$1,000 UD Budget] Need Gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeekPlaya, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeekPlaya

GeekPlaya Thread Starter

Hello all, I hope everyone's doing well..

I am slowly teaching myself hardware, because I want to get a gaming computer for obviously gaming, but also video editing and software development. I figure whatever can handle games well, could also handle video editing fairly well.

I need your help in deciding what I should buy, as I am building my PC from scratch (least expensive way).

What I have so far... (last updated 3/15 9:42 am)
    What should be changed if not everything?

Goal
    • Run Battlefield 3 around High (as I know Ultra requires an expensive GPU) with AA.
    • Play Crysis 2 on High
    • Minimal 35 FPS on most modern games (hopefully much higher on something like Minecraft)
    • Able to render fast in Sony Vegas
    • Hopefully not too loud of a computer
    • Not having to worry about overheating

2. Sponsor

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    My thoughts below:

Case: Personally I don't like the look of it but thats me. I would also recommend a full tower ideally for a gaming PC because it provides more space therefore better cooling with a good fan setup. If you want a mid tower this is a good one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

PSU: Not a big fan of Antec PSUs myself, I prefer Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic (who make alot of the Corsair units) or OCZ.

RAM: To ensure compatibility I would recommend buying RAM that is on the motherboard Memory Support List (MSL) which can be found here.

Other than those (which aren't show stoppers really, more of a personal preference) the build looks OK to me.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a few thoughts;

1 Go with a WD black series drive. Better built and a much better warranty. The drive you linked to has a 1yr warranty. This black series drive has a 5yr warranty. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

2 I also am not an antec fan [after having a number of them fail on me] corsair or seasonic make better quality pw supplies

3 I use corsair or crucial ram in builds for people. For me I will use "Off" brands, my current build has patriot memory. [If it does not work for me, I am the only one to blame] Corsair or crucial ram is like snap-on tools; the standard by which others are judged. If you want the minimum of problems, then go with corsair or crucial. If you do not mind issues, then go with whatever memory you want.

4 If it were me, I would opt for the 2500K with the unlocked multi however if you do not intend to overclock, then the one you linked to is fine.

5. GeekPlaya

GeekPlaya Thread Starter

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The corsair builder series is pretty much on par with antec. The builder series is made by CTW and not seasonic. It is not up to the level of quality of a regular corsair. Up to you however if you intend to stress the system hard ie gaming, overclocking, etc I would go with a real corsair or seasonic pw supply. Keyboard is probably fine.

7. GeekPlaya

GeekPlaya Thread Starter

I updated it. How does that look, and does everything else look fine then?

EDIT: I don't want to worry myself with overclocking. :)

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That should be fine. I have just about the same pw supply however it is an older 650W corsair and it has been running an overclocked amd 965 for 2yrs without a single problem.

You might want to add a 120mm fan to your list. The case you selected has a front 120mm fan however the rear one is not included [at least that is what it says]

I have had a few cases that said a fan was optional however when the case arrived, the fan was included. You can wait to see what comes however do not be alarmed if it comes with only one fan.

9. GeekPlaya

GeekPlaya Thread Starter

Better safe than sorry. I added it to the list. $5 isn't too bad.. I figure a fan is a fan, of course, it may be louder, but I can live with that. I can't see myself spending $30 on a 120mm fan.

You think this is the best setup for me? Especially with my ideal goals? What FPS do you think I'll get on, say, BF3 on High, 1920x1080? What about with Fraps running?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Someone who games a lot might be able to tell you approx fps with that step-up however that person is NOT me. The only game I play is UT2004 and that maxes out FPS with just about any modern video card.

11. GeekPlaya

GeekPlaya Thread Starter

Alright. Well thanks for all your help! I will pass on my current specs to other users at various forums and see what they think of it as well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice