1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1.3Kbytes/sec??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FZWG, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Sure appreciate some help on this one.

Running a PC with Windows Me, and AOL 8.0 is installed.
    CPU=P450/RAM=384MB

AOL kept freezing, so, cleared caches, reinstalled AOL adapter, modified graphics, etc.

Connect to Internet, try to download something, and the speed goes down to about 1.3Kbytes/sec. Downloading 1 MB takes almost half an hour!!

Decided to install MSN 8 instead. Same problems as with AOL.

Any ideas of what could cause such a slow download speed, or how to fix the problem?

2. mobo

mobo

Have you looked for spyware and viral infections ?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    are you using DUN (dial up network) or Cable / DSL type connection?

4. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Using Dial-up.

Ran Spybot and virus scan. No problems there.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    How is it with just Internet Explorer?

Also some factors could cause the problem, like your locality, phone line, modem.. Some modems can be flashed-updated to optimize it. Those updates are available (if any) at the manufacturer for the modem. Also try using speedboosters for internet connections. There are a bundle around on www.download.com and www.tucows.com.

Other than that, just could be bad servers / overloaded servers with too many people connected.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    "AOL Hell" plays havoc with an internet connection and won't even allow you to optimize it properly. :( (n)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a Windows XP user)

7. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Do the tips in: "56K Dial-Up Networking Tweaks And Fixes For Windows 95/98" offer any improvement for an AOL connection? (Presume they also apply to Windows Me.)

"...won't even allow you to optimize it properly" Why would AOL cause this result?

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    FZWG:

You can read here in detail as to why Cablenut 4.08 won't work properly with "AOL Hell" and what other problems it causes with a connection.

Once someone decides to get rid of it, it involves several steps to clean it out, which is why I have it posted on my site.

You can try the tweaks that I have posted on my site, but there's no guarantee how well they'll optimize your connection.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips (Also a Windows XP user)

9. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Do not use AOL, and was helping out some friends who do. If they keep having problems, looks as if a format and re-install is next.

The likelyhood of my using AOL, after reading all that info, is slim to none!

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    AOL never liked IE or anything like it's own program. In fact I never liked MSN 8 because it was a program trying to do everything I didn't need it to do. When I connect to the net I expect just a browser, not a program that can figure the stock market rate in bangkok.

As for your connection, you might want to try a cheap alternative like NetZero or I think juno.com. Then use IE or Netscape to see if you have the same problem. If you do, then it might be a case of updating the drivers, or even *Flash upgrade* your modem

11. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Had an interesting experience with this issue. Tried to run an anti-virus program (TrendMicro Housecall) to see if a virus was involved. Housecall took forever to download, and then kept getting hung up scanning C:\_Restore.... files.

So, disabled System Restore in Windows Me, restarted the PC, and decided to start AOL again.

Guess what, no more freezes, goes from page to page without hang ups, the Housecall scan went through smoothlly, downloaded a couple of programs without a glitch.

Apparently something in the _Restore files was causing a problem.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible that you have / had a virus in the Restore System files. Run the AV virus with the system restore disabled. I'm sure that there is some kind of virus there. If you find one there, delete it and then you should be able to enable System Restore without a glich.

13. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Had run TrendMicro Housecall antivirus program. No viruses detected.

Also ran AVG Grisoft, it came out clean also.

So far, so good. Everything is running well.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice