1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1,780,000 pints of Guinness recalled

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by buddhafabio, Oct 9, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. buddhafabio

buddhafabio Thread Starter

Guinness offers stout defence for recall of thousands of kegs
    Thursday, 9th October, 2003

Thousands of kegs of Guinness which could have left customers with a nasty taste in their mouths have been recalled en route to Europe and the US.

Guinness has recalled the kegs for the export market as they identified a potential risk that the pint may not taste as good as usual due to prolonged storage.

The kegs were on their way to Europe and also to some outlets in the US.

None actually reached customers who, the company insists, will not be left thirsty as the kegs are being replaced as soon as possible.

A Guinness spokeswoman said yesterday that the kegs were recalled due to a risk that the taste of the pint would not be up to its usual standard.

The spokeswoman would not reveal how many kegs had been recalled, but one source estimated it could be as many as 178,000.

"We can confirm that our quality-control assurance checks have identified a potential risk in some kegs of Guinness which might not meet our standards for flavour stability," the spokeswoman said. She said Guinness always tried to maintain high standards.

"Tests had indicated that over time some kegs might develop a flavour that could impact on enjoyment of the pint," she said. This was most likely to occur where there was a prolonged storage period, such as may be the case in some export markets.

2. RandyG

RandyG

Actually, some dumba$$ in shipping accidentally exported the stuff we drink here, instead of the usual muck we send to the rest of ye!

Now, we couldn't have the rest of the world notice the difference, so it was all recalled!!;):D

3. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

So besides your stash Randy.....where are the other 780,000 pints! :p :D

4. gws226

gws226

LOL... I could believe that...

Here Guiness Pints aren't very popular for the most part(I do enjoy them now and then) .... When I was working as a bar back I would have to change a keg of Guiness once a month...(thats keg can get real skunky real quick if it just sits there for a month or two )

5. Moby

Moby

No idea what you're talking about .
    ;)

6. RandyG

RandyG

Guinness is a finicky pint. You have to "pull" it in 2 steps, glass tilted towards you and resting against spigot so the liquid doesn't hit the glass with too much force. After you fill the glass approx 2/3 full, you set it down till the brown turns totally to black. The creamy head would be about 1/2 inch thick, and pristine, meaning no bubbles or drips. This usually takes about a minute. You then top it off by using the slow fill option on the tap.

You only start drinking when all brown is gone from the black!!

The most important thing about it all is that the first pint or 2 you pull from the keg needs to be thrown away, as you are just cleaning out the gunk that has been sitting in the pipes!

The best Guiness is in places that change the kegs and clean the tubing regularly. First hint when you walk into an Irish pub . . . look to see if folks are drinking Guiness or lager. If Guiness, order without hesitation!!;):D

GWS - now you know why many Irish pubs get populated by Irish bartenders in the beginning. It's not only that authentic touch, but quite simply, we Americans would order bloody pitchers of the stuff and swill it back immediately! and then probably have the trots all night due to it! . . .

geez . . .poor keg sitting there for a month, and I'll bet those poor pipes never got cleaned, huh??;):D

7. Cédric

Cédric

ummm...Guinness...:)

8. oldie

oldie

My favourite tipple - my nick here (Malta) is Ginniss [​IMG]

9. gws226

gws226

I wonder if I could pick up a couple of these supposed bad kegs on clearance prices!

10. Moby

Moby

You can have a couple of mine Gws. And by the way, good to meet you too. :) I didn't see your greeting in that other thread till late and it was buried. Timing eh?
    :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170699

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice