1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1.8ghz machine running as fast (slow) as a 1ghz machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donkor, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donkor

donkor Thread Starter

I recently got a 1.8GHz Celeron computer from a family member who bought a new computer, but they dropped it while bringing it over. When I started it up, it booted up pretty quickly. But when I'm actually in Windows, it runs as slowly as my old 1GHz machine and sometimes when opening things it has long delays. I thought it might just be Windows being old, so I did a clean install. But that didn't fix it. Now I think it might be one of the hard drives or my cd drives, since at the BIOS diagnostic screen it sometimes hangs at them. Other than scandisk, which didn't return anything, is there a way to find out where the bottleneck is occuring without having to spend money I don't have?

2. Glitchy81

Glitchy81

Well, it depends on which OS you have. If it's Vista or XP, then you may want to change the graphics settings so they're lower, because they consume memory.

3. donkor

donkor Thread Starter

It has the same exact settings as my 1ghz laptop, that's not it.

4. mattyc

mattyc

Double check every thing inside the case. Look for anything loose.
    Make sure processor and heatsink are firmly seated.
    Remove then reinsert the ram, video card, any other add in cards.
    Unplug and replug all hard drive and optical drive cables.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/628717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice