1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Cable Modem - Permanent PC and Temp PC Need Internet Access NOT at Same Time

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shesun4givn2, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shesun4givn2

shesun4givn2 Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I have a pc with cable modem internet access. I'm working on a friends pc which is normally connected to the internet through it's own cable modem. I need to temporarily connect the friends pc to the internet through my cable modem. I've tried disconnecting my pc and connecting her pc, but her pc cannot access the internet. Is there a setting I need to temporarily change so she can have access through my modem? I've checked both pc's through IE's properties and they both say 'Automatically Detect Settings'.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks everyone. :)

2. NewtonW

NewtonW

I don't know if this is the norm, but in my area the cable providers use your NIC's MAC address to log you on.. If you have the same cable provider though, I don't know if that would be your problem.

-Newton

3. shesun4givn2

Hi Newton, thanks for responding. :) Yes we both have the same cable internet provider. You think that could be causing it not to connect then?

4. NewtonW

NewtonW

Since you both have the same provider, and if they do use MAC addys to log you on, you would think it would be one big happy family and they would allow you to both connect from the same modem. But you never know about these things.
    It could be possible that they are assigning a static IP to that MAC, which is how ours used to work. I've been on DSL for several years, so I'm not sure how our cable companies do it now.
    When I was cable, I spoofed my main NICs MAC address in my router, and that allowed other systems in my home to connect.

5. shesun4givn2

Thanks for making it a little clearer to me now newton. :) I think you may be right and they're assigning a static IP to each MAC. :( I appreciate you're taking the time to explain it to me. :) I guess if I'm going to continue working on others pcs I might need to pu either a cross-over cable and have both pc's access the internet through one pc's cable modem or get a splitter or router, huh?

I appreciate the help, thanks have a great night. :)

6. NewtonW

NewtonW

I got a little confused on the MAC thing.. Here is how my friend that worked for the cable provider explained the way they did it. They would assign the cable modem, by way of its MAC addy, a static IP, they would in turn hook that staic IP to your NIC's MAC. In effect, the NIC and modem were a sigle unit. Whew! I can't say that that is your problem : ), but you are right in that a router or some method of Internet connection sharing would be an easy way to connect things up.
    I chose to use another NIC from my main system to my router and used ICS just because I'm to cheap to buy Virus software for all my home systems : ). I let my main system scan the traffic to all my systems.

7. shesun4givn2

Sounds like you have a great setup. ;) I believe I will invest a little in a cross-over cable or switch. :D

Thanks again for all your help.

8. NewtonW

NewtonW

Hope everything works out..

9. shesun4givn2

Newton, thanks for all your help. I'm not sure why I didn't think of it last night (or why I DID think of it this morning), but I decided to shut both pc's down and unplug the cable modem as well. I switched the patch cable to her pc then plugged the cable modem back in and booted her pc. Got right on the internet with no problem. :rolleyes: Amazing what a 'reboot and reinitialize settings' can do, eh? :D

Thanks again. :)

10. roban

roban

To be able to connect from a network PC without the host pc on you will need a router. Home networking means that the host machine has to be running.

11. shesun4givn2

Thanks roban. :) I don't really have a home network, I'm just repairing a friends pc. I didn't need them both connected to the internet at the same time, nor even connected to each other. A home network is something I'd like to consider though, since I do have a 2nd pc and my daughter keeps asking me to give her network access through it. ;)

Thanks again for replying. :)

12. shesun4givn2

Thanks for the help you 2, this one can be marked resolved. :D

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should always power cycle the cable or DSL modem when you connect a new device directly to it. Of course, you should also normally reboot the machine in question too... :)

14. Spacetop

Spacetop

Try opening a command prompt and type in ipconfig /release (enter) then ipconfig /renew (enter)

See if that helps on your friend's pc... might reset the DHCP binding on ISP's server...

15. TxBear

TxBear

The problem has been resolved Spacetop see message 12 of this thread. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice