1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Computer, Connecting to 2 Compters

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jnymris, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnymris

jnymris Thread Starter

Hey i'm a first time posting, but i'm having a bit of trouble in regards to conencting a computer to another one. I have created a a diagram which i hope explains it better.

[​IMG]

i would be greatful if someone could explain how i would go about connecting the computer two to computer one. At the moment it just shows as if the network has been unplugged on both Computer one and computer two.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For starters, you would need a crossover cable to connect the two computers

Then you would need to configure each for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

Another option is to connect a DSL/Cable Router. Then each can access the Internet independently. It also functions as a reasonable hardware firewall.

There are also easy ways to hide that lower computer from the network and still be accessible.

3. jnymris

jnymris Thread Starter

Sorry I have been running pc one with the network ( top computer and the 'main' network) for ages

but today i bought another network card & a cross over cable. so i can connect this pc ( which is the top computer in that diagram) to the bottom

i cannot break the top computer with the connection to the 'main' network as this would loose me internet access.

I do have a cross over cable connecting both computers to each other.

i have done some configuring and i can not detect on the bottom pc if the network cable is unplugged to the connection on this computer but i cannot access any shared files?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is no need to break the connection from the top computer to the existing network. You could simply add the lower computer to the network, share whatever you need, hide it from the rest of the computers as far as browsing, and only allow whatever users you want to be able to connect.

Getting this new information is helpful.

"i can not detect on the bottom pc if the network cable is unplugged to the connection".

I would expect that if the network cable us unplugged, you would not be able to detect the bottom computer.

Can you give more details to better explain exactly how things are configured hardware and software wise as well as provide what errors you are getting.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you can ping in one direction but not the other, you probably have a firewall blocking. If pings fail in both directions you have a firewall problem, a NIC problem, or a cable problem.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
    ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
    ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
    Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice