1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 computer has internet access/ 1 computer doesn't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sooky 47, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sooky 47

Sooky 47 Gone and dearly missed Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I have a question about the "router " and the wireless computer that my daughter uses in the basement.
    I too am hooked to the router ... right beside my computer. I'm on the top floor of a 3 storey and she is in the basement - hence the wireless card.
    I have reformatted and upgraded my computer to sp2 in the last few days.
    I have internet access. Since I reformatted, do I need to reinstall the setup for the D-link setup?
    I'm confused as you can see.
    My computer is still working (as I mentioned on the net) But my daughters computer is not.
    Is it possible that with the sp2 upgrade that it has blocked something to her computer?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a wireless router, nothing you do to your computer configuration should affect other systems on the router. If you changed the router configuration, that's another issue.

You don't need any software installed to configure a broadband router, just IE.

3. Sooky 47

Sooky 47 Gone and dearly missed Thread Starter

Hi johnwill - thank you for your response.
    No I didn't change anything on the router configurations - which is why I couldn't figure out what had happened. I am not that experienced with networking & didn't know what to expect or how to fix what had happened.
    I just came down to my daughters computer to look around now, and ....
    without doing anything but checking her computer for any error messages or anything not connected - I for the Heck of it, started Norton AV and clicked Live Update and it ran ???? :confused: :eek:
    I have not clue what was different because she even restarted the computer a few times last night and try that but nothing.
    So I guess this is solved - with no how or why's as to how it happened.
    Unsolved Mystery.
    Thanks for your time.
    Lu

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/321031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice