1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

$1 Floppy bay storage tray!

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by gotrootdude, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotrootdude

gotrootdude Thread Starter

The $1 tree (and probably other stores) has plastic acrylic boxes of push pins for approx $1. Take one push pin and slowly drill it through the center of a 3.5 inch bay cover. Next bend the pin 90 degrees on the inside, so that it forms a handle for removing the cover easily. Then brake the cover off the plastic container that the pins came in off, and brake the hang tab off, but don't brake off the clasp as it will keep the tray from sliding to far out later. Use a razor blade to trim the top of one of the short sides till you can slip it onto the back of the bay cover. It's not exactly 3.5 inches, but it's good enough to work. I then used super-glue to glue the tray onto the back of the cover.

Walla, a $1 storage tray for your floppy bay that can hold your spare thumb-screws, velcro dots, superglue tubes, screws, bits, glow-wire invertors, zalman fan-mates, Svideo adaptors, DVI adaptors, mini-sharpie marker, dremel cut-off wheels, lighter, in my case a rolled up USB cable. (y)

I came up with this because I have a Aspire Qpack case that I'm using as a HTPC. The case has a detachable memory card reader taking up a 5 1.4 bay. Unfortunately, to detach the reader, you need a USB cable, which I wanted to keep close by without fear of losing. So, since I didn't include a floppy drive, I decided I'd get a storage tray to fit in the floppy drive's space to hold the cable. One problem, nobody sales such a device! Well. it's not a problem anymore, anyone should be able to build and enjoy one in a matter of minutes.

Now I just need to buy another pack of push pins for each PC in the house to keep any cable adaptors, etc handy. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice