1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 hard drive, 2 letters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cybergum, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybergum

cybergum Thread Starter

I'm back from my 4 week hiatus (3 of which the pc was at tech support) and as usual I have a question about my new system :)

I have a 2.5 GB HD that used to be installed on an older computer. The comp. didn't recognize anything larger than 2 GB though, so it's divided into D: and E:. The new system recognizes both drives and there aren't any problems, but is there a way to have just a D: drive? Thanks :)

2. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

You would need to merge the partitions which I don't think can be done without software such as partition magic or system commander. If you are running windows 2000 or XP you could convert the drives from basic storage to dynamic. Then you can setup the system to see only one volume as aposed to two partitions.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi cybergum

If none of the programs are currently pointing to the files on the E drive you could temporarly copy the files to a folder on the C: drive then FDISK the D and E drives to remove all partitions and create one big one. Format the drive then copy all your data back to the empty drive. (or use a program like partiton magic like bcon76 stated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/92090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice