Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1 HD clone on 2 pc's

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tewitt1949 
#1 ·
Hi guys, here is what I have and want to do. I have 2 new laptops, very very close to being the the same as far as spec's but not the same model number. Both came loaded with a bunch of junk I never use. They both would get on the net but was very slow and would get bogged down. So I took one to a shop and they pereformed their magic and removed a bunch of junk and changed a bunch of settings and now that thing flies. It works great but cost me $80. It was worth it but being cheap I don't want to pay it again for the other pc.

So..........I used Acronis and have made images/cloned both hard drives when I got them and also made an image/clone after the shop preformed their magic on the one pc.

What I did is took the image after the speed up and installed it on the slow pc. All works great, both pc's work fast and I'm satisfied with both. But now (a few days later) I get the message to register windows ( I think thats the message)in the second pc. If I don't do anything about the message I don't know how long it will work.

I'm not actually screwing Microsoft because both windows are legal. What should/can I do?

#2 ·
I'm not actually screwing Microsoft because both windows are legal. What should/can I do?
Actually no, they're not. You've taken one disk which contains the license for that particular laptop, cloned it to another disk, and then put it in another laptop. Technically, that's illegal. However, since I'm assuming you do have a key for the second laptop, you should register that instead. This page will show you how to do that.

#3 ·
Yes, both windows is legal and I registered them when I got both pd's. But no disk's came with them so I don't have the product key that I know off.

Isn't there a place in the pc where I can get it? Seems like I've seen it someplace when I was nosing around in the pc, but I don't remember where or how it found it.

I did follow the link you gave me but I need the product key. If it makes any difference both have 8.1.

#4 ·
I went to search and typed in product key and a key came up along with other spec's but it is the information from the other pc. In other words, if I type product key in the search bar, the info is the same on both pc's.

Am I going to have to put the original image/clone back in to get the original product key for the 2nd pc?

#6 · (Edited)
The clone of the image on one will NOT work on the other - you will end up with the situation you have now
I get the message to register windows ( I think thats the message)in the second pc. If I don't do anything about the message I don't know how long it will work.
as explained in post 2

The reason in brief is because when those computers were first built HP did this
1. An OEM/ODM (original device manufacturer) applies to Microsoft for a batch of licences
2.. The OEM runs a Microsoft tool to generate an ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - MSDM- Microsoft Data Management which will then identify the individual computer family and the licence key
4. The OEM then runs a UEFI injection tool that embeds the entire ACPI/MSDM specification into the firmware
5. The OEM then reports to the Microsoft servers the ACPI data- the hardware hash and the product key
6. Microsoft record the data on their activation servers
7. The key activates online automatically via the server

Therefore the clone of the OS from one of the HP computers to the other HP computer des not match as the hardware hash is not the same
So the answer is IMHO either contact Microsoft OR if all you need is your personal data
Start again with a clean install to the original hard drive on the `second` HP ENSURING you use the correct version of Windows 8.1 both in edition, bit and language
download is here
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
If you select the correct version it will not require a key

ENSURE before starting that you have a clone/system image of the original installation on the bloated OEM hard drive and a copy of your personal data.
and you have the recovery partition copied to a USB pen
Control Panel
recovery
create recovery drive
copy recovery partition

#7 ·
Further to above I am signing off
Good luck with it
Back about 1900 UK time

#8 ·
Yes, both windows is legal and I registered them when I got both pd's. But no disk's came with them so I don't have the product key that I know off.

Isn't there a place in the pc where I can get it? Seems like I've seen it someplace when I was nosing around in the pc, but I don't remember where or how it found it.

I did follow the link you gave me but I need the product key. If it makes any difference both have 8.1.
You might know that Acronis true image has the feature of "restore to dissimilar hardware". If you do this, the system might work.

#9 ·
IMHO whilst of course you may try it
You might know that Acronis true image has the feature of "restore to dissimilar hardware". If you do this, the system might work.
My understanding of that process is to configure the correct drivers and settinga but is NOT connected with windows activation procedures

#10 ·
Heres the final update. After installing the image from one pc to another, I booted it up and it said windows isn't activated (it was originally on the other pc). So after much hesitation and talking I decide to try to activate it. All went well, it said all is ok, thanks. (or something similar). So I will see if I get any messages in a few days.

Thanks for all you help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.