1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Issue after installing router in front of hub

Discussion in 'Networking' started by medic17506, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medic17506

medic17506 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Brandon
    Thank you to everyone who helped yesterday with my networking questions. Here is what I did.

DSL coming into modem out to Wireless Netgear Router then out to netgear 8 port hub. Everything is cool...work good...no issues EXCEPT on MY computer (of course)... I can't send e-mail now? What gives? fyi I am using MS Outlook for my e-mail. Anyone have a hint that I can follow up on.

I was able to log into the router as well as the modem, I haven't changed any addressing or anything (because I don't know what I'm doing)...I do know this is a dynamic IP address here...

Thanks...

Medic17506

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

There is nothing inherent with your current setup that would break Outlook, so its got to be some sort of setting issue with outlook or the firewall. But we need better information to try to narrow the real problem down.

What errors do you get? How is outlook configured?

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

is the smtp server address correct? :cool:

4. medic17506

First Name:
    Brandon
    I know the SMTP address is right. As a matter of fact...even though I didn't change anything as far as the Outlook E-mail acct settings, I called my ISP tech support to doublecheck myself. Nothing was wrong.

I have not yet plugged in directly from the router...My laptop is coming off the hub instead of the router. I will try that next, I guess. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

5. medic17506

First Name:
    Brandon
    Okay, here's what I've done now...sending mail works fine with another system hooked directly to the wireless router...I recieved mail on my laptop.

So I hooked the laptop up directly to the router...still can't send mail (ugh!)...now the other system that was hooked up to the router is hooked up to the hub and still sends mail...seems this is an issue with my laptop in which I haven't made any changes to.

Just from Grins & Giggles I deleted my e-mail acct and re-set it up...to no avail. Is there any specific information that could help someone solve my issues? Oh, I also logged into the modem and shut the firewall off completely just to see if that was a confilict...NOPE...

Please help me...

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

I'd re-check and re-check the configs, have someone else check (new set of eyes), and then when all that failed, I'd reinstall outlook. If that failed too, then I'd reinstall the OS.

Hopefully it is a configuration setting, but one of the guys here had a similar issue, and he ended up having to reformat/reinstall the OS before his worked again...

Good luck,

-Scott

7. tronh

tronh

can you ping the mail server by name? by IP address? If you can ping by IP but not by name, then it is a DNS issue. If by neither, a network issue. If by both, an outlook issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice