1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 long beep, 2 short beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adam2708, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adam2708

Adam2708 Thread Starter

Hey guys, this is what has basically happened:

Last night, I was on my PC when a powercut happened. All power gone for about 1/2 hour, no big deal...I thought. When the power came back, I was able to log onto my PC however there was no internet, and this was apparant on all other computers in my house and the router also indicated this.

I then logged on this morning, with no internet still however there was internet in the rest of the house. I thought to restart the router and also my PC, however, when I tried to turn my PC back on, all i got was 1 long beep then 2 short beeps. I did some research and found out that this was a visual problem..something to do with my video card.

Is there anything immediate I can do right now to verify this, or do something..whatever..

Thanks for your time, any help is appreciated.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Did resetting the router/modem get the other computers back on the internet ??

Just a wild guess .... But I'd unplug the tower ..
    push and hold the power button for about 30 seconds ...

then reconnect the tower and see if it works.
    I've got my fingers crossed ... and welcome to the TSG forum

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

Surges are bad things for sure and can really mess up a good thing. Try pulling CMOS, and reseating it, and pulling the Video Card out and reseating it. You might also test your memory, pulling all out and reinserting one and booting. Swap it for another and do the same thing. A lot of times what appears to be the Video is actually the Ram. Let us know...Jazz

4. Adam2708

Adam2708 Thread Starter

A bit of an update, firstly I took the video card and ram out and put them back in, but that didnt work.

Then I tried: taking one stick of memory out and trying, taking other out and trying, taking video card out and trying, reset BIOS (taking cap from 1+2 and putting them on 2+3 then resetting) and all of that didn't work, same 1long beep 2short beeps.

Taking it to my stepbrother tomorrow for him to take a look at his, as he runs a computer repair service.

But apart from that, what are your guys' opinions?

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You're in the elimination troubleshooting stage now, replacing the video card or the memory, etc. until the problem is found and can be sorted. That's the standard procedure.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Is your video normal? Can you change the resolution?
    In Device Manager, does the network card show ok with no yellow "?" ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/779499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice