1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 long beep, 2 short, I think it's the mobo dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by authortitle, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. authortitle

authortitle Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just shutdown my PC and on turning it on nothing happened. Tried a few more times and now it's making a long beep followed by two short ones (though very closely spaced, hardly any gap between them), nothing on screen.

Reading around, it was suggested this might be a video card problem (due to the beep code). I've tried all of the following to no avail:

1) Removing all connected (USB etc) devices
    2) Removing everything connected to the mobo (IDE cables, sound card etc)
    3) Removing each of my sticks of RAM, followed by both at the same time
    4) Removing my video card (no onboard one)
    5) Resetting the CMOS

Even with everything I can think of disconnected other than the mobo power, it still beeps. This leads me to think it's the motherboard itself that has gone, rather than the graphics card (I'd expect a different error if I had no graphics card present?). This ties in with my computers rather odd behaviour over the past few months (e.g the odd blue screen, CD drive access on either drive causing it to hard reset after a bit, occasionally not starting until I leave it for a minute...), and I'm totally willing to replace my motherboard, but was just wandering if anyone had any other checks or suggestions to recommend before I go out and buy one?

And if anyone could recommend a good, cheap mobo (all I really need from it is SATA and support for my processor, I'm not too hardcore a user) that would be great.

Cheers,
    Tom

Spec:

Gigabyte K8NS-Pro motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
    NVidia Geforce 6600GT graphics
    1x 512 MB DDR400 RAM, 1x 1GB DDR400 (not matched brand but I tried all combinations to no avail)
    ?? 250GB SATA hard drive
    Taurus 480 PSU (I've seen PSU's suggested as a problem but don't think is it, even with everything disconnected had the same problem + like I say my PC has been acting in a 'your-motherboard-is-f*!ked kind of way lately)

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You MAY POSSIBLY have a problem with bad capacitors. Take the side off the machine and use a bright light to look carefully at the capacitors. The capacitors are small can type objects that should be perfectly flat on the top. If any have "bulging" tops, are leaking a brownish looking fluid, or the capacitors are leaning (not perpendicular to the motherboard) they may be bad.

Attached is a link showing what you should be looking for.

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

At times as capacitors start to fail boards become very erratic.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice