1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 long beep the 2 short beeps, and no screen HP dv9000

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [email protected], Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam@acorn-wood

[email protected] Thread Starter

hi everyone,

Ive got a HP dv9000 (its a dv9341eu)
    AMD 1.8ghz turion64 x2

When i turn it on it beeps 3 times and the screen does not come on, i can hear the fan turning if that helps.

I want to know if its the graphics card or the motherboard or CPU. ( i dont want to buy a new motherboard in case it turns out to be the gpu)

Is there any definate way of finding out?

thanks, sam

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. sam@acorn-wood

thanks for the prompt reply, by the sounds of that, it points to the video card..... however, it still could be a motherboard problem, (this happened to a friend) ..... can a put a video card from a similar model in the broken laptop to eliminate the video card being at fault?

or vise versa, put the video card from the broken laptop into my laptop (which is a similar model) ... just to see if the video card works ?

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

The card is a chip

5. MYobfool

MYobfool

Yes he's right in general the video is installed on the motherboard. i.e. you have a big problem if this is not under warranty. i.e. pretty much you likely have a dead laptop.
    :mad:(the problems are: how much to replace motherboard and do you have the skills to do it?)

6. sam@acorn-wood

OK thanks for the replys, Im fixing the computer for a friend, im pretty good with computers but never changed laptop board before. (im a avionics technician) so i wont find anything on a computer too difficult.

Ive got another laptop (my sister) which is HP dv6000 (same processor) and similar graphics "chip". would it be possible to take the Graphics card from the "broken" computer and install it on my sisters "working" laptop.

That way i would eliminate the Mother Board or graphics car being at fault ....... right?

Or is this chip a "permanent" fixture (not "bolt on, bolt off")

7. sam@acorn-wood

sorry ive just read the post properly, and done a google search..... new motherboard it is then.

Anyone know what motherboard is compatable in this model?

ie. could i get a motherboard from a "lower grade" dv9000 (maybe a different dv000000 model altogether)

8. frankjohn

frankjohn

Check the HP site

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

THE board is a Quanta3628 if that helps

10. frankjohn

frankjohn

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice