1 out of my 2 Xbox Ones will not connect to any Wifi network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cdyrd

As the title states, I have two Xbox Ones. One of them can connect to all 3 of our WiFi networks just dandy. And all the computers and cellphones that come and go through the house can connect just fine to our 3 separate WiFi networks, as well as a public one across the street.

For some reason, the other Xbox One absolutely will not connect to any of my WiFi networks or the public WiFi networks. Whenever I try, I get "DNS isn't resolving Xbox server names." I have been through every troubleshooting step possible, but it seems like it's something wrong with strictly this Xbox.

We have comcast with an Xfinity WiFi network mostly used on the first floor, which also branches off to a NETGEAR N600 router which is secured by WPA2-PSK [AES] and used mostly on the second floor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed, please let me know.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
If the one thats having issues is connected to the n600 its prolly because your CC Wireless Gateway/Modem isnt in bridge mode...you need to bridge the comcast modem/gateway and then connect the wifi from the netgear to the xbox. You cant use the comcast WG with an n600 without bridge mode unless you manually set the DHCP, the DNS, and the IP.

cdyrd

If the one thats having issues is connected to the n600 its prolly because your CC Wireless Gateway/Modem isnt in bridge mode...you need to bridge the comcast modem/gateway and then connect the wifi from the netgear to the xbox. You cant use the comcast WG with an n600 without bridge mode unless you manually set the DHCP, the DNS, and the IP.
We use the Comcast modem hard-wired and wireless, on top of using the Netgear N600 hard-wired and wireless to extend our range. We have miscellaneous devices connected and using the internet and the comcast network, and both the 2.5 and 5ghz bands of the Netgear N600. It has been set up this way for about 6 months. Up until probably a week ago, I haven't had any issues. The only device in this house that's having issues is this one particular Xbox.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
A lot of the times it will work ok with double NAT, BUT since youre having problems you need to use only one NAT. That means enabling bridge mode or setting the DHCP server to forward the internet to the 2nd xBox.

Basically you have been lucky this far.

cdyrd

A lot of the times it will work ok with double NAT, BUT since youre having problems you need to use only one NAT. That means enabling bridge mode or setting the DHCP server to forward the internet to the 2nd xBox.

Basically you have been lucky this far.
Okay, I will look into setting the DHCP. This house seems to limit Wifi capability through the floor so it's pretty essential we have two networks, or some kind of extension so setting the comcast modem to bridge mode isn't an option at the moment. If I can't find a solution in the next week, I'll have to wait til I have money for an extension solution to put it in bridge mode. Thanks for the suggestions.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Then get a wifi range extender...theyre fairly cheap and will do what you need. the problem you have is trying to use 2 devices with DHCP...you cant do that...one has to be in control one has to be dependant.

A wireless range extender will accomplish what you want without the worries of double NAT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online