1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Printer, 2 computers ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wogster, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Hi all,
    You might gather what I'm about to ask just by the title of my topic... my wife and I each have a computer running Windows XP Pro, her computer in another room of the house has no printer, and no room to put one. My computer has of course, or I wouldn't be asking the question. We're both on the internet via a router and on cable.

Is there a way to set-up, so that we are both able to use this one printer? I know they do it at my work, but the systems there are possibly diffferent then a home system, yes?

Until asking,, she's had to e-mail me the document, and I have had to open it here in my Microsoft Word and print it. worse case yet, is if I don't have the same font as her computer... it doesn't always printer until I find the ttf font over the internet. Help Please, there must be a simple way without running cables all through the house??????

Wogster.

2. neosage

neosage

When you say you are 'both on a router and on cable', are both your pc's connected to the same router via ethernet cable?

If so, then printer sharing is a breeze as most, if not all, routers offer basic networking options such as folder and printer sharing. On your pc that connects directly to the printer, open up the printer settings window and right-click on your installed printer. Select the sharing tab and make the printer available for sharing. If you've never shared anything before it may tell you that you need to enable NCS (network connection sharing) in order to allow the shared printer, but it will do this for you when prompted. Give the printer a name, then from your wife's pc, open up the printers dialogue again, and select 'add printer'. leave the name of the printer black which will initiate a network search, which should show up the printer you have just shared. Select that printer and it will install the required software to print on your wife's pc, and set itself as the default printer if no other printers are installed.

Note: in order for her to print to your printer, you will of course need to have your pc switched on, and your account logged on; your pc is essentially acting as a print server in this scenario.

3. Wogster

Wogster Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.... I just got home from work and hurried here to see if someone replied to my question. I will get right on this and see what happens.

Wogster.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

Open help and support and type in the search box printer network and press enter. Should provide all the answers you require.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice