1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Short beep 2 long beeps NO DISPLAY!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMSTek, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMSTek

JMSTek Thread Starter

Hello all,

I just obtained a tower for free from my school. It is a Compaq Evo with a Pentium IV processor. It has a video card, cd drive and floppy drive with usb ports. I have an old 4 gb HDD hooked up to it. I was told that all it needed was RAM. I have a ton of Ram sticks. This computer has 3 SDRAM DIMM slots. When I push the power button I get 1 short beep and 2 long beeps.. then nothing happens, no display, not able to get into BIOS or anything. I have tried multiple monitors, I have replaced the video card, I have tried every single SDRAM DIMM stick that I have, I have reset the CMOS with the button and with the battery, I have removed and reinstalled the processor, I have unplugged and reconnected all cables.. still getting 1 beep and 2 long beeps. When I look up the beep codes it seems to be a RAM problem, but I have a hard time accepting that with all of the RAM sticks that I have tried that work in other computers. If anybody can help lead me in a different direction I would be extremely grateful!!! :confused:

2. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

That is an incompatible RAM problem. Either the wrong type, or your mis-matching modules, or you are exceeding the maximum chip size for the slot. Not all SDRAM is the same. Some PC's can only use PC-100, some can use PC-100 or 133 but not both at the same time, and some slots can take up to 256 MB modules, some can only take up to 128 MB or sometimes only up to 64 MB.

What I would do, is start with only 1 RAM chip, hopefully you have one that is PC-100 and low capacity, say 64 MB or 128. Make sure you put it in the right slot for running only one chip. Even if the computer can take PC-133, they can usually use PC-100 too. But if your computer can only use PC-100, then a PC-133 chip will NOT work. And, DO NOT mix both PC-100 and PC-133. It's possible that NONE of the chips you have will work in the computer, but it's best to test with one chip at a time to see if you can find out which type the computer can take, since combining two chips makes it harder to narrow down the problem because the problem could be the mixing of the two. What would really help is to have the manual for the board, it will tell you what memory configurations will work.

3. Flags

Flags

JM: Go to www.crucial.com and enter the make, model no. of your computer. It will tell you what memory you need.

4. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

The problem with OEM computers is that not every unit with a certain make and model, use the same parts. In many cases, entering the make and model is not enough.

I had a Gateway Select 800 built in 2000 during the Pentium recall. So, it had an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800mhz processor on a SLOT A (not socket A) instead of a pentium. Some Select 800's were built before the recall and had Pentium processors and obviously, a totally different board. To complicate matters, both types used various boards with different memory capabilties, and even the Athlon version had both Socket A and Slot A boards. Some could take up to 256MB PC-133 while others could only take up to 128MB PC-133, even though the make and model of the two computers was the same.

5. JMSTek

JMSTek Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies fellas... All of my RAM sticks are 128mb or above, I will try to find a 64mb and install with my fingers crossed. I am just hoping that it is not the motherboard itself as this will provide more work then it is worth!

6. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

I'm not saying that this is the case, but it could be that all your SDRAM chips are either too big, or they are all PC-133.

If the computer in question can only use PC-100 or can only use 64MB maximum module size, can you see how that would be a problem?

Don't give up, don't lose faith. If you made darn sure that your memory modules are securely locked into place, (along with all other card inserts) and none of them work, then you might want to try a 64MB PC-100. Again, make sure every part is securely seated. I'm really starting to think that since there are only 3 slots that perhaps it is more likely that it uses only PC-100 and a max size of 128 for a maximum of 384MB of RAM. I have run into a few systems by HP and Compaq, and Gateway that were like this. One of them could take a 64MB ONLY in the first slot, but the other two slots could hold 128MB each for a maximum of 320MB of RAM. I know. Pain in the rear, and confusing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice