1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Short Beep 2 Long Beeps on Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nachoraver, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nachoraver

Nachoraver Thread Starter

I just built a computer for the first time - I've had 2 different people look at it as well as hours spent on Ventrilo discussing what I may have missed.

The Computer:
    Intel Mobo DP55kg
    Processor Intel i7 870
    no onboard graphics
    ram is corsair 1600mhz 4x2gb chips #CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 ddr3

So basically when I hit the power button - all the fans etc come on but it won't show up on the monitor. One short beep happens showing it's booting then after a few seconds I get 2 long beeps, pause, 2 long beeps.

Now the information that came with the mobo says this is a graphics error - I've already replaced the graphics with a brand new one. Some other forums suggest it's a memory error - but could 4 different sticks really be bad? A friend suggested a bad batch, but before I go out and buy more stuff that I'll end up returning to the store - does anyone have any other suggestions as to what is causing this?

Things I've Tried:
    Replaced Video Card
    Tried different connections with video card
    tried 4 different sticks of memory in all 4 different slots with different combinations.
    took the entire motherboard out and made sure no posts were touching then put it all back
    tried just the basics, no HD or Sata cables
    reseated the processor
    upgraded the power supply from 600w to 850w
    the monitor does work, have it hooked up to my laptop as we speak
    moved the jumper back and forth to clear the cmos?
    had a friend who builds comps but works mostly with AMD come over and make sure I actually did have everything in the right spot and plugged in right.
    Unhooked all parts and readded them in different combinations to attempt to get a different error - none.
    followed every step on every website i could possibly find other than replacing the mobo and the processor because i dont have a backup to do that - and if i replace one i'll have to replace the other because they came in a set and i'll have to return them as a set.

if anyone has any other suggestions before i pull the thing apart, box the mobo, take it back to the store, then deal with the tedious task of ordering another one - please let me know. I've ordered all of these parts from Bestbuy.com - and while their shipping has been completely terrible, the prices weren't that bad I guess.
    :eek::(:confused::mad:

2. storage_man

storage_man

I don't have a solution, but the 2 beeps are for a video problem. You have replaced the video card and tried different connections with no success, the only think I can think of is a bad mother board slot. I don't know if you tried it in a different slot, but thats about all that is left.

3. Nachoraver

I've now also replaced the motherboard - brilliant thing this time around is that this one doesn't have a speaker - so I have no way of hearing why it won't load - it also has onboard video - and neither that or the video card is working.

Items not yet replaced:
    Memory
    Processor

4. pammm

pammm

nachoraver,

Did you figure out a solution? I'm having the exact same issue with the Dp55kg board.

5. pammm

pammm

nachoraver,

Did you figure out a solution? I'm having the exact same issue with the Dp55kg board.

Update: I finally got gpast the slow beeps by plugging in an old graphics card along side my new one. the beeping errors only go away when BOTH graphics cards are plugged in. neither card works alone. I have no idea why.

intel dp55kg motherboard
    intel i5-760 processor
    zotac geforce gt 240 1gb
    1 tb wd hd
    sony bluray burner
    430 w power supply (is this too low?)

6. stretch1967

stretch1967

the pc case should have included a speaker for your board which will plug in near the front panel headers on the mb. have you tried removing all but 1 stick of ram and starting the computer you may have 1 bad stick! if it starts with 1 stick. install another and start the pc do this for the rest. if it does not start after installing 1 of the stick that could be the bad one

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Nachoraver

We literally replaced everything in the pc more than once and could never get it to work. Even ordered a new mobo and processor and ended up with the same thing - only difference was the second board didn't have an onboard speaker and the Antec 9000 2 case doesnt have a speaker either. After everything we did the only thing we can think of is that it had something to do with the case - we never breadboarded it.

I ended up going to best buy, returning 1500$ worth of parts, bought a gateway fx pc, took out the power supply and vid card, replaced it with the power supply and vid card i bought for the other computer and it's been working amazing ever since. I had about 1700$ wrapped in in parts and the gateway fx was all up 1300$ including my extra parts i put in there.

Sorry to those of you who have this issue - my solution was to throw in the towel and buy one that already works.

9. pammm

pammm

what power supply did you have and did you ever replace it? i'm wondering if my power supply is too small.

10. Nachoraver

Started out with 600w - ended up with 850w. I am now using the 850w and the video card in the prebuilt computer. The second mobo/processor I ordered to try was an asus amd board and an amd chip - while I couldn't hear the beep codes due to no speaker we could never get it to boot to video so we could see anything.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice