1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 Static, Multiple DHCP Computers Configuration Help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nolajester, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolajester

nolajester Thread Starter

Greetings,

I'm trying to set-up a relatively straightforward but complex network. I've got 3 machines, Win 2k3, Vista, and Mac OS X. I just purchased a Linksys RVS4000 gigabit router. I'd like to do the following:

1) Set-up my Win 2k3 machine as a web server. I was given a static ip address from my DSL ISP and I would like this ip to be used with this machine.

2) The rest of the machines I would like to assign DHCP too with the router.

How should I physically set-up my network to accomodate this? What router settings do I need to set?

If anyone can help me even further, how do I bind a static ip to a my godaddy.com account?

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. hermes

hermes

Security issues aside you need to go to the LAN settings and choose your DHCP range then statically assign an address to the server. The ISP IP assigned IP address is going to be needed on your WAN connection, with a pool of internal addresses NAT'ed to that address. Then you need to port forward incoming traffic on the WAN interface ( not on the LAN interface), on port 80, to the web server's static internal address, and set up an access rule to allow that traffic through the firewall. The setup should have the webserver's port as a DMZ (there is a wizard for it). I'm feeling lazy so pasted the link below.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...1130777111145&ssbinary=true&lid=9528233503B02

This document walks you through a lot of it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice