1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 TB HDD for my laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scubatony, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scubatony

scubatony Thread Starter

Hi There

I have a HP 510 laptop, I know its an old thing but I want to upgrade the HDD to 1 TB

The machine currently has a 50gb inside at the moment.

Can anybody suggest a HDD to shove into it ! ! !

Well not shove exactly but you know what I mean

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

They don't make laptop hard drives with a Parallel ATA interface that big, actually I don't think they make PATA drives at all anymore so it's just old stock. You could get maybe a 320GB or 500GB drive. Or you could use an external drive for storing your data files on it.

One of only two new drives on Newegg with a PATA(IDE) connector: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136345 - 320GB

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the laptop is so old that it shipped with that small of a drive, then it's entirely possible that it won't even recognize a larger PATA drive. You'd probably need to update the BIOS, but even then it may not work. At some point, development resources move from updates for old hardware to updates for new hardware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065822