1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

1 user connected to domain server, but no luck adding more.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dhlytle, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhlytle

dhlytle Thread Starter

The Server is Windows 2008 R2
    The computer in question is a new Win 10 Pro laptop. Two other computers (Win7) are connected to the server with no strange behavior.

To be more specific, I cannot even open other users that were active on the notebook before I succeeded in getting myself accepted as a domain user on the notebook. I get a message that the computer cannot find the domain. (May not be exact wording.)

I am administrator on the other two computers as well, and thus was already recognized as a domain user.

(Regarding my role, I am a volunteer, retired, somewhat rusty former computer shop owned, for this small non-profit organization.)

I would appreciate any trouble-shooting suggestions you might make on my next visit to the client site, probably Tuesday Aug 14. I will run the sysinfo utility then.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Are you trying to add the Win10 laptop to the domain?

What is the DNS set to for the Win10 laptop? It has to be set to use the Win 2k8 R2 server.

As an aside, you need to talk to them about upgrading the Win 2k8 R2 OS. It's nearing end of life and MS won't be doing any more patch maintenance on it.

3. dhlytle

dhlytle Thread Starter

The WIN10 Laptop is recognized as a domain computer. As I mentioned, I can get on the server/domain when I log in and everything works fine. It's when I try to even log is as an another user that I hit the wall.

RE Aside Win Server 2008. Discussion is at least a year old. Getting a decision is the hard part. Also alternatives, NAS, cloud, etc...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are the other users domain accounts or local accounts?

Have you tried entering the local computer name or domain name in front if the users that do not work?

ie. LaptopComputerName\User1 or YourDomainName\User1

Also note that once a domain user logs in once it can be logged in without communicating to the domain on further attempts. So what could have happened is that you were successfully connecting to the domain before to get yourself logged in but no longer are.

Do the same on another successfully connected computer. Post both results.

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have these other user accounts been set up on the Domain server, to allow that account access?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice