1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

<10 mbps on desktop but 100+mbps on laptop in same room?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by browz95, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

Hello all,

So i'm kind of at the end of trying to figure this out on my own, so thought i would reach out for some help.

I am having internet speed issues on my desktop PC. i know that it is not necessarily an issue with the router or service, as all other devices get close to, if not more than the speeds we are supposed to get.

When my PC and my Girlfriends laptop are sat next to each other, in the room directly above the room where the router/modem is, her laptop is reaching download speeds of 100mbps+, where as mine has at max hit 18mbps.

My pc has an asus PCE-AC51 wireless network card, and the whole PC was custom and only put together less than a year ago.

Now to explain what i have tried:

-Location - i have moved my PC around, and also moved a wi-fi extender into the same room to boost the signal slightly, although i didn't think that this would be the issue anyway, due to the laptop and other devices having no problem with signal.
    -i have fully reset my PC, wiped everything, just in case i has enabled some mystery setting, but mostly just to return the PC to a blank slate to cancel other factors out.
    -i made sure all the networking drivers were fully up to date.
    -I have (to some degree) looked into the PCE's advanced settings through device manager, and tried taking the wireless mode off Auto and trying all the manual options, all of which led to less than 10mbps speeds. (this is where my tech know-how peaks, and most off the advanced settings in the device manager for the card, i don't have a clue what they do)
    - i have even fully striped and cleaned my PC, putting everything back together again. i know this probably wouldn't make much difference, but it needed doing anyway

I would consider getting a new PCE card, but i dont want to waste my money incase that might not be the issue, and changing/updating the card will still result in 10mbps download speeds.

Thank you for any responses, even the smallest suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are the antennas secure? Not "hidden" or oriented poorly?

What is the signal strength (please use something like the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector for this measurement)?

3. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

Two Antennas, both are tight and i currently have them oriented one vertically and one horizontally, i have tried all sorts of other arrangements though, no difference.
    PC is currently on my deck with the back of the PC sticking into the middle of the open room, so not hidden either.

Anything else you can suggest to measure signal strength that you would consider reliable? Or know a way of downloading xirrus wi-fi inspector without having an IT job or being part of an IT company, as that's what the official site wants me to input to download.

I am happy to look into signal strengths etc, although i would believe if there was an issue in that regard, it would be with my pc being unable to properly pick it up (maybe a fault with my network card?) and not necessarily an issue with my wi-fi, as it is great on all other devices in the same location as my pc. But happy to look into anything to get the help i need, that's why i'm here after all!

4. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

been doing random wifi speed tests every now and then, usually getting anywhere from 5mbps to 15-17mbps. Just did one, got 130mbps, then my pc lost connection to the internet, then reconnected and the following test came back at 5-10 mbps again.
    Meanwhile laptop in same room is fine, no disconnects, reliably and consistently at 100+mbps

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

6. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

I have tried updating drivers. The automated update updated it to driver version 2023.66.1104.2017 which is dated 04/11/2017. The driver from the asus website is driver version 1.0.0.20160603 dated 30/06/2016, so an earlier driver, and when ive tried to manually update it to that driver regardless, through extracting the zip and browsing for that folder, it spits out the 'the best drivers for your PC are already installed' and wont let me update to that version.

Inspector measurements are in. Signal level for the network i use is -44 with a very nearly full green bar.

7. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

Not sure if it is just the application or not, but every now and then, all the listed networks, including obviously others from different houses on the street, will disappear, then they will all pop up again a few minutes later. Not sure if it is just the application because i don't seem to lose internet connection while the inspector cant find any networks.

8. browz95

browz95 Thread Starter

I thought I had got somewhere.

Went into my virgin hub 3.0 settings and saw that my desktop was connecting to the 2.4 ghz frequency, but the laptop was connecting to the 5ghz frequency.

I went into my network cards advanced settings and changed it so it was on the 5ghz network and on the same wireless mode as my 5ghz frequency is on (the card was just set to auto as default)

I immediately ran a speed test and was getting 100 plus mbps speeds, but then it disconnected and now the signal fluctuates and even when it connects, won't connect to the Internet.

Beyond frustrating.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

Auto on both should select the fastest

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    (y)

Agree with you that probably the application is the culprit, but could also be the adapter cutting out (overheating?) briefly.

Just to play devil's advocate: you're sure of the constant internet connection because you are streaming audio or video or doing something similar?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice