1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

10.Mbps to 100.Mbps !?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tazirishlamb, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tazirishlamb

tazirishlamb Thread Starter

hi

I dont know if it s a hardware problem , or just a software configuration i need to do,

the thing is im not very advanced with pc's, so laymans temrs would be great when explaining anything for me thanks !

the thing is!

My friend and I are both on a the exact same braodband package, his when he checks his online status reads 100.Mbps whereas when i check mine it's running at only 10.Mbps

what might be the problem here for me.

thanks alot

2. coulterp

coulterp

I doubt whether either or you are on 10Mbps (well just perhaps, that would be mighty uncommon here in the UK, but I don't know where you are) or 100Mbps (no way!) This looks like your LAN speeds.

What is your broadband package? 512 kbps 1, 2, 8, 24 Mpbs??
    'Cos that's what you'll get on your internet connection. Regardless of what your LAN can support (doubtless a 10/100 Ethernet LAN); your broadband limit for internet will be whatever the broadband package package gives you. And many of these will give you one speed for uploads and another for downloads.

What is it you are using to indicate you broadband speeds?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're looking at the Ethernet speed from the modem to the NIC on the machine. Since I suspect neither of you have service that is anything close to that fast, it probably makes no difference. It could be as simple as a different modem or firmware version in the modem.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You both may have the same broadband service, but are your network hardware configurations identical as well?

Are the broadband modems/gateways the same brand and model number?

Do both of you connect directly from the PC to the modem/gateway or do one of you have some type of router, hub or switch between the PC and the modems/gateway?

BTW, tazirishlamb, welcome to TSG. :)

EDIT: Hi John. I was typing while you were posting.

5. tazirishlamb

hey, yeah he does have a router... cos he connects up his laptop which handles speed of 54.0Mbps

would his router increase his speed? i must check his internet without him using the router to see if that makes any difference

ps thanks for the welcome ,

glad to be here :)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To restate what the previous three posters have said ...

Your internet speed is whatever your ISP is saying it is--probably less. So, your internet speed is, at most, maybe 6Mbps.

The computer's connection to the router or modem may be advertised as 54Mbps (wireless 'G'), 10Mbps ("slow" ethernet), 100Mbps ("average" ethernet) or 1Gbps (gigabit ethernet). But the 6Mbps or slower internet connection between the ISP and your modem will not get any faster.

Think of it this way--you have a pipe that can deliver water to your house at 6 gallons per minute. No matter how big the pipes inside your house, you will still get no more than 6 gallons per minute.

7. tazirishlamb

oh ok, thank you very much!, i think i understand what ur saying now, whats is being shown is not necessarily what is given..

he is using a router on his pc, i wonder if that makes any differece to his speed when he checks status

we're both running a rhine II ethernet card

8. Soundy

Soundy

Most cable and DSL modems only have a 10Mbps (10base-T) ethernet port on them, because common cable and DSL technologies don't go that fast anyway, so there's no point in using a 100Mbps (100base-T) port on the modem.

Most home routers, however, include a 4-port switch (in addition to wireless on some) that in addition to sharing the internet connection, allows you to network your home computer(s) to each other... where you can actually make full use of the faster ports. Thus, the router will have 100Mbps ports on the LAN side (they're actually auto-switched 10/100Mbps ports that will adjust to the speed of the card that's plugged into each one).

If the computer connected to one of those ports has a 100Mbps card, then it will establish a 100Mbps connection between the computer and the router, which is what Windows is reporting. If your computer has a 10/100Mbps card and you plug it into the modem's 10Mbps port, the card will adjust down to 10Mbps to match the router, and that's the speed Windows will report.

As an aside, I would highly suggest adding a router to your setup, even if you only have one computer, for one reason: it adds a LOT of security by "physically" separating the computer from the internet connection, for a relatively small cost (you can find them for $10-$20 sometimes on sale).

9. tazirishlamb

ok!

thanks alot!!, i really appreciate the advice everyone!!

taz ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice