1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% CPU usage...FIX

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fairytinx, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fairytinx

fairytinx Thread Starter

Hi all,

I had the 100% CPU problem but have now managed to fix it, so thought I should post how I fixed it as I've seen so many people with the same problem:

My PC (A compaq desktop, XP, SP3) was running a little slow so I decided to reformat it. After I had finished the reformat the problem became a whole lot worse. I then found out that my CPU (SYSTEM process) was running at a constant 99 - 100% so I scanned with all sorts of scanners to no avail. I then ran process explorer (great prog!). Process explorer found that USBPORT.SYS was running at 99%. I then went to the device manager and disabled all usb ports, The CPU dropped instantly. I have a bought a PCI-USB card and am now happily using those PCI-USB ports without any problems.
    I hope this helps some of you ;-)

Process Explorer:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Your problem is quite common and I've used Process Explorer to discover USBPORT.SYS as the culprit on a few occasions.

Process Explorer is indeed a great tool. I even replaced my Task Manager with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!