1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% CPU Usage on System Idle Process. (Not a mistake)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Slimmy, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Alright, you're going to say..."It is suppose to be 100% on System Idle Process, your processor has to be running always so it moves to the System Idle Process."

That isn't the problem. My computer is giving 100% CPU usage on anything possible. It will switch to random programs..which I will end-task, then it will move to another one. It is doing it right now. But, I have end-tasked a lot of programs that it finally immigrated to the System Idle Process. I have a picture to prove to you.

This only happens some times. How I would fix it before..is...Unplug my power cord and let my computer sit for a while..then plug it back in..and it would work some times. But, now I have tried and can't fix it.

Lately, after the fact of this 100% CPU fiasco that started a couple months ago, my computer won't have a POST beep when I start it up. But, if I turn it off, and turn it back on, it will always work on the second time. IT's weird

I have AVG 8 and Spybot Search-and-Destroy, and i do scans with them very often...They either find one or two things...and I clean them up, or I find nothing. Nothing changes this fact.

Not only that, my computer, when it IS working...some-what. (No 100% CPU on random processes) I can't even play Hi-def videos on Youtube or Hulu. I can't even watch movies in 720 P on my computer. And I KNOW my computer is good enough to.

It has just been going down hill for my computer, I don't know what's up. Here is my DXdiag:
    Help me please.

Picture is attatched.
    Rest of DXDiag in other post.

Attached Files:

• Roar.JPG
      Roar.JPG
      File size:
      252.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Sponsor

3. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Rest of DXDiag...
    I am going to reset my computer real quick...I think my CPU will overheat if it is using 100% usage 100% of the time.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Check the box in Task Manager for "Show processes from all users". Does Task Manager then show a process using excessive CPU that was not showing before?

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When you are not currently running tasks (ie that task bar is empty) there are still a myriad of tasks that will periodically hop onto the processor. And the number of tasks that do this, depends on the individual configuration.
    (IE when seemingly inactive, the processor does not spend all of it's time allocated to the System Idle Process.

This is what happens in a normal Windows environment.

BTW if the 100% allocation is mostly allocated to Idle it will NOT overheat!

In your snapshot it is Process Lasso that is on the processor. It's "function" is to "play with running priorities" and it obviously can't do that if it does check periodically to see what is running.

Unless your processor is running 100% on Active Applications, I can not see a program like Process Lasso having a positive affect!

6. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Frank4d, nothing changes.

WhitPhil, I was just having Process Lasso to maybe elucidate other questions.

I forgot to note, my computer, when It is doing a memory check, (so right after I hear the POST beep), I can tell significantly that it is slower. So it may not be software at all. Also, I have noticed that DDR DIMM or something around that, after the post beep is at 200, but then when I reset, it is sometimes 400. If that is anything significant. I don't know what it is..so it may or may not be.

Once I log in to my computer, it has allocated my CPU usage over several programs..random programs that start up, which accumulates 100% CPU usage. After end-tasking several of those programs..it finally moves to the System Idle Process, which I still have a very slow computer.

I have ran my computer in Safe Mode, it just allocates the CPU Usage on anything running. So, Explorer.exe...or System.exe...

I was just cleaning out the dust in my computer, as well, that's why it took forever for me to respond. (Yes, the computer was off...>.>)

I have also tried taking out one or two ram sticks to see if it was interfering, didn't help at all.

7. WhitPhil

Also, Download, install and run HiJackThis

Run the scan and save log file option
    When the LOG file opens in Notepad, Edit > Select all, Edit > Copy

Then, in a reply post, Paste

This will allow us to have a better look at your running environment.

*** Do this after a fresh boot and without killing any active apps.

8. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Uhh, wow. I fixed it...Although my computer still is suckish...but...

It was my I-pod.

I have no idea why...I plugged in my I-pod after I turned on my computer, and that works.... But, when I have the I-pod plugged in and I turn on my computer...it doesn't work.

That is retarded. Uhg.

9. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Do you still want me to do this? I will...for the sake..of...I don't know...

10. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

11. WhitPhil

Do it only if your "symptoms" return.

It seems strange that an ipod would be doing anyhing strange. I'm sort of guessing your "dusting" may have resolved it.

Regardless, mark the thread solved and UNsolve it if needed.

12. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Thank you for your help, WhitPhil.

13. Slimmy

Slimmy Thread Starter

Huh...Well, I lied...the I-pod made my computer be a little bit faster..but it just went back..or maybe I just THOUGHT it went faster..Well..it definitely is still 100% CPU

I have tried everything...I can't effin' fix it! Grr!!

Here is a HijackThis:
    This is WHILST at 100% CPU...in fact, I can't turn on my computer withOUT it being 100% CPU

14. WhitPhil

When this happens, do ctl-alt-del, processes tab, double click on the CPU column header to sort descending, and then post back the top 4 process names as well as the CPU percentages

15. NetKnockout

NetKnockout

I have a very similar issue, I was reading down through your post, got to the part where you declared you'd solved the problem, and grinned, somehow I just knew... Sorry, for grinning, but this issue is one you have to grin at, or you just may find yourself being sued in personal injury court after you toss your pc out the window, it bounces off a canopy and lands on a little old lady....= ) Anyhow, I won't clutter your post with my specs... Though, just out of curiosity, do you play any games online? Mafia Wars/ Vampires/ Poker... etc...???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815764