1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% CPU Usage - Possible Damage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iKwak, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

During the DVD encoding, my CPU usage is peaked at 100%.The process can take a minimum 30 minutes to a maximum 2 hours.

I am concerned that the CPU will be damaged and lead to a meltdown (read it somewhere). The AMD Athlon 1.2ghz CPU is using the stock fan that came along.

1) How long is it okay for the cpu usage to stay at 99-100%?
    2) Should I get a new CPU fan that blows crazy amount of air?
    3) Or should I invest in a new Athlon XP cpu (money is short)?

I like to continue using this outdated cpu if possible.

2. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

After you encode the DVD (or what ever you do) what are temps of the cpu like?

3. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

Full 100% usage of your computer's CPU is only damaging in these two instances:

If your CPU's fan is damaged or not adequate for cooling the processor. If the fan is not working properly, the CPU may overheat, causing damage to your CPU. This could be true for ANY CPU intensive program, however, so any time your CPU's fan is faulty, it should be replaced IMMEDIATELY.

If the program in question is being run more than once at the same time over a extended period like a few days non-stop.

4. iKwak

iKwak Thread Starter

I don't have a software to check the temperate. :eek: (Recommendation?)

The CPU fan works great (stock that came along with the retail cpu).
    If I were to buy an aftermarket cpu fan that blows crazy amount of air, while decreasing the temperature of the cpu, would it also lower the cpu usage %?

5. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

a good program for all of your pc's info would be Aida32 just google it u will find it its freeware.

and no lowering the temp of the cpu wont lessin the spu usage but it will lessin the chance of cpu damage. since you have a AMD wich is not a A64 using stock cooling i'de recomend a change of cpu fan and heatsink change(HSF) im unfamiliar with the old AMD Athlons but if its a "Socket A" the "Thermaltake Volcan 12" HSF is the way to go ;)

6. GRudger

GRudger

Speedfan 4.15

motherboard monitor 5

sisoft sandra can measure temps, but not monitor

7. brite750

brite750

I don't think it matters what speed cpu you use it will still run at 100% just faster or slower depending on cpu speed. As was said make sure cpu temp is reasonable, if it's socket 7 cpu good luck finding a good hsf for it, i've been asking for a good one to use with my old 750 t-bird and have gotten no response. All they sell are these crappy little alum hs with a crappy little fan, no way to adapt up to larger fan or better heat sink. Use Arctic silver 5 and hope for the best.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Vid encoding for the most part will always be at 100%. I've had encodes that have run well over 8 hours with no problems. Note that the heat generated is not nearly as bad as heavy gaming which also heats up the vid card which in turn will lead to higher temps than just encoding. If you don't have them the addition of some rear exhaust case fans is always a good idea as is a temp monitoring utilty like SpeedFan (which was noted) which will also monitor HD temps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice