1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% CPU usage while idle

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by phoenix02, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. phoenix02

phoenix02 Thread Starter

So I've been working on my friend's computer for a couple of days now. She had been running a virus scan using AVG because the computer wouldn't let her get online and was running very slow. It found some infections and went to quarantine them when her computer froze. On a reboot, she got a blue screen about a Fatal Error.

I was able to get the computer into Safe Mode and then running again using the most recent configuration that worked. The CPU usage is still at 100% with no programs running are aoltsmon.exe (AOL top speed monitor), csrss.exe, and winlogon.exe. I set the priority of them all to low and the AOL executable was no longer a problem. The other two continued using about 50% of the CPU. After doing some reading, I found that some viruses disguise themselves as these executables. The blue screen was most likely due to AVG deleting one of them, right? Is it possible that these are not caused by viruses and is there any other way I can make them stop being such resource hogs? Unfortunately I didn't think to copy over the Hijackthis Log, but will the next time I have access to the computer if needed. Thanks for reading

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!