1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% cpu usage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by musictuff, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. musictuff

musictuff Thread Starter

Any time browse the web, my cpu usage is up around 100%. I've checked it with IE8 and Google Chrome and I get the same thing...forget about trying to watch YouTube Video's, they are very choppy, and pages with a lot of content lag...it's driving me nuts. Help please.

2. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Welcome the to the TSG Forum!

What computer system are you using? and what OS?

Open your task manager, click on the processes tab, click on the cpu tab under that and look to see what is running your usage to 100%.

Does this do go any program that you can think of?

can you advise us what the program is running and how many processes are running when you get this?

3. musictuff

musictuff Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3450, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 190779 MB, Free - 17349 MB; D: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 85325 MB; K: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 172559 MB;
    Motherboard: First International Computer, Inc., VG33
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I notice that there are at least 3 instances of "chrome exe" running and it seems to be taking up the most cpu.
    I have a total of 57 process' running.

4. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

Shut down the chrome browser, open your task manager and click on the processes tab and then click on the image name and check to see how many of the chrome.exe is running.

The usual is somewhere around 30 or so for a normal windows xp, depending on the software installed and what is running in the background.

When you shut down the chrome.exe from the browser, there should not be any chrome.exe running.

Did any of the anti-virus or other safety programs report anything that was trying to get in?

If you wanted, you can shut them down in the task manager by opening your task manager, click processes, click on image name and then locate the chrome.exe name and highlight the name and finally press the end process on the bottom of the task manager.

When you restart your chrome browser, re-check your task manager and see how many of the chrome.exe is running. You should have only one unless you are using them in separate windows. Then this is where you are seeing multiples of chrome.exe.

5. musictuff

musictuff Thread Starter

I still have at least 2 chrome.exe running in task manager...and I am only running 1 instance of chrome. I did not run all of the anti-virus programs. When there are 3 running in task manager, I can shut 1 down and chrome still runs, but when I shut down 2 it ends chrome.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice