1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100 cpu when chatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Irving1704, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irving1704

Irving1704 Thread Starter

Every time I try to use any type video chat my screen locks up for sevrel mins at a time then will go back to working for a short time, then starts all over again. When I bring up task manger it show 100% cpu usage with "system" using every bit it can get. Please help

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

what type and speed of processor do you have in your machine.
    also how much ram does your machine have?

3. Irving1704

Its a AMD Sempron 3200+, with 1.5G 0f ram. I have had it about a year and a half but have had problems with it for only about 3 months. I had to reload XP about 3 weeks ago and its still no better. Thanks for any help you can give.

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Well its certainly not a lack of processing power and ram with what youve got for what you may be trying to do at the time so heres my suggestions.

The main cause I have found is actually a problem with the way explorer handles avi files! (or all types of video for that matter) Let me explain a bit, it you have an incomplete avi file, or a damaged avi file, explorer will read it frame by frame to determine it's properties (such as video size, length etc..)
    You can confirm this by starting the task manager next time it happens, I know it will takes ages to open but be patient! if you see that explorer.exe is the process using all your CPU do the following:
    1. Open up regedit
    2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

After restarting the problem should be solved. **note** You won't have any video properties any more if you right-click and avi file, but I'm sure you never use it!

If the process is not explorer.exe then there are a few other problems that could cause the same symptoms. Some people suggest that the print spooler of all things was the cause!

You could also have a keyboard issue, some logitech keyboards have some driver issues which can cause the 100% cpu usage. Also physical damage could case the problem (which could mean continuous interrupt requests and hence 100% CPU utilisation)

5. Irving1704

Its not explorer. I had task manager up and explorer was not using any processor, it seem that "system" is hogging every bit of processor power thats left. It will do it for for like 3 mins then let go for a few then do it again. Thanks for the help at least i'm getting somewhere.

6. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

so its just a selection of all the programs running forcing the pc to run at 100% cpu.?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice