1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

100% Disk Usage Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tnuke17, Nov 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. tnuke17

tnuke17 Thread Starter

Specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 6074 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 674 GB (583 GB Free); D: 23 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 227E
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Maximum Security, Enabled and Updated

Question:
    I am on Windows 8 with a HP Pavilion laptop that is now about 5 years old. I do not have much stored on it, and I use it daily for Google Chrome and I do play Minecraft on it a lot. Whenever running the game, I always have 100% disk usage when I check it in Task Manager, and I am not sure how to fix it. I allocate 2GB of RAM (of 6) to Minecraft, and allocating any more to it makes the laptop run much worse than it does already, which is very poor while Minecraft is open. This problem is definitely much worse as of late, as when it was <4 years old I seem to remember no significant performance issues. How can I lessen the burden on disk usage? I am considering buying additional RAM, but will this really do anything?

Thanks.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    What's the typical utilization when you'renot playing the game? Is it still at or about 100%. I'm asking to find out if indeed Minecraft is causing the issue.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

These are the performance scores for the processor and integrated graphics in your laptop.
    Your laptop appears to have 6 GB(6144 MB) of RAM.

We don't know what the model number and product number and serial number are on your laptop, so we don't know how much RAM it supports.
    Based on the performance of its processor, I doubt that having 8 GB(8192 MB) or more in it will noticeably improve speed and performance.

We don't know how well you maintain your laptop and what's installed and running in the background in it.
    That in itself can have a noticeable impact on speed and performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. tnuke17

tnuke17 Thread Starter

It's usually between 30-50% when just using Google Chrome. Minecraft has a noticeable impact on the disk %, but it says it is at 100% even when the total usage of all processes is under 8 MB/s. What gives?

5. tnuke17

tnuke17 Thread Starter

Would you suggest converting my HDD to an SSD? I believe the laptop has plenty of life left, so would this be a good investment?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice