Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1000 FOOT range for wireless network setup

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jiml8 
#1 ·
ok here is what i have to do. there is a house and a cottage. in estimation i need to broadcast wireless network roughly a thousand feet to the cottage. its a straight shot and no trees are in the way. is this possible to do and what hardware would it require? its already setup so i can place the router in the room that overlooks the cottage.

ive seen MIMO router cover 5 thousand square foot house so i thought maybe this could be possible with MIMO equipment on both ends.

#5 ·
Most of the major router manufacturers have them, or you can find them on-line in dozens of places. The Cantenna units are somewhat bulky, but they sure do extend the range. :D

#7 ·
ok just follow up. the SRX router with the "bigger better" antennas actually got i would say about 600-700 feet of the way. range extenders' do suck a ton and a pain to configure. however i still need to go another 300 into house. so i will order cantenna and see how well it works...ill just need one righ?

#8 ·
devlin said:
ok just follow up. the SRX router with the "bigger better" antennas actually got i would say about 600-700 feet of the way. range extenders' do suck a ton and a pain to configure. however i still need to go another 300 into house. so i will order cantenna and see how well it works...ill just need one righ?
One for each end. You also need a completely clear line of site between them.

Sidelobes will be an issue; make sure you have wireless security enabled.

#10 ·
brendandonhu said:
Yes, IMO you'll need an antenna on each end to get this kind of range.
You can get/build them a heck of a lot cheaper than cantenna.com by the way.
Tuning is critically important and a bit of a pain without instruments. For instrumentation, you could build an envelope detector easily enough but you would still need some amplification and an oscilloscope.

Buying is a lot simpler.

Of course, there is this . And they say they have the tuning all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.