1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

10baseT on 100baseT network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by StevenYoungMin, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StevenYoungMin

StevenYoungMin Thread Starter

I'm using a win98 laptop connected to an ethernet via a 10baseT PCMCIA NIC which has both BNC and RJ45 connections. The network is going to be upgraded to a 100baseT in the near future. Will the 10baseT card I have still work ? Can I get it to work by adding a clever hub ? Can you run different parts of an ethernet network at different speeds? Or perhaps I'm better buying a new NIC

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Steven

2. Rockn

Rockn

You most certainly can run a network at 2 different speeds. As long as the hub/switch you are connecting to is dual speed. You might be better off buying a new NIC if you are upgrading soon anyway.

3. StevenYoungMin

StevenYoungMin Thread Starter

Thanks - If I opt to use a dual speed hub - do I slow the network down for everyone else?

STeven

4. Rockn

Rockn

Nope...the uplink will be connected at whatever speed the other end is at if you get a good autosensing hub

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice