1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

12 svchost.exe processes with no apps?? slamming disc

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by zapp22, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

i struggle for a title to this. this is a 32-bit Vista on Thinkpad T61 that I have spent more than 6 hours on, stopping processes, removing unbelievable epic bloatware, running custom uninstall utils, malware cleanup, etc.
    I'm down to something that does not seem to be obvious in Services, using autoruns, msconfig, other tools etc - some process or applet or something that, at fresh boot, kicks off a routine that just pegs the hard drive for about 5 minutes nonstop. when I look at processes and cpu and memory the only thing left that looks notable to me is that there are 12 "svchost.exe" processes running whereas aside from those little is going on - so I wonder why? one of those svchost.exe events consumes the bulk of the resources, tripping the cpu, eating up 14mb or so of memory, and appears to be the culprit driving the HDD nuts. but I cannot correlate it to some app or process or device as yet.

if I either just wait it out for the 5-6 minutes at startup, or kill that particular svchost.exe process, the system runs great, despite the crappy 3gb limitation of the worthless Intel 965 chipset

anyone have a clue what's going on here?

2. Rynet

Rynet

There is a few things that can cause that. One of them is the windows superfetch services. It indexes the drive and causes massive HD usage and slowdown for a few days after install.. Also shadow services can as well. Also having a recover active as it in in default installs causes HD usage as it creates recovery points.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

what do I turn off?

4. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

i was advised of the restore/recover thing. I THINK that is turned off. at this point I'm not so sure that I'm sure of anything in vista.

5. Rynet

Rynet

Well if you don't want the windows search active you can turn off the superfetch service and see if that helps.

6. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

i see the indexing service but it is dormant, relatively-speaking. not consuming anything but mem and not much of that

7. Rynet

Rynet

In task manager go to view then columns and check I/O reads and I/O writes and sort by most used.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Superfetch is a memory management process and has nothing whatsoever with "indexing the drive". It also uses next to 0 CPU and should certainly not be turned off.

If you don't search often, the search indexer can be turned off, but it will make searches much slower.

svchost.exe is exactly what it says it is, a host for services. If a service is using too much CPU, you need to use Task Manager to find out which one it is.

I/O of the disk may or may not be associated with CPU usage. A process already loaded to RAM and using the disk not at all can still consume CPU time.

A lot of svchost processes running is perfectly normal since Vista is a service-based operating system rather than a resource-based one. It has virtually unlimited resources, which is why measuring "resource usage" in Vista is not possible in any direct way.

Services consume 0 CPU cycles unless they are performing a function. They are not like the "background" running processes in Windows 98. They remain in memory until they are needed, but do not have any affect on other processes unless you have too little RAM. If you don't want that function to be performed, you can stop the service.

9. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

thanks rynet for that tip.

so here is more detail:
    - lsass.exe is by far the dominate I/O hammer, PID 692 on this boot
    - I timed it this time: the disk was pegged, breathless, for 6.5 minutes from login
    - if I kill that one big svchost process, the one that takes 42-70mb ram and creates a little cpu churn, the disc activity abruptly stops
    but with consequences. this is interesting - if after stopping that one I hit google chrome, it can't get on the air. however if I crank ie8, it does. how interesting....
    - after logging in and waiting for calm, if I then Log Out, then log in, there is no unusual activity. so its just at bootup/login that this occurs.
    - its not related to search/indexing. I turned that one off and it had no effect. turning back on now.

i remain in the dark. what should I do next?

10. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

couple more quick notes. I compare the T61 running vista with my thinkpad x120e running win7 home premium x64, the I/O reads/writes on the x120e is neglible. about 10% the count of the Vista notebook.
    I also note that even long after login on the Vita machine, lsass.exe is still ticking up the I/O count.
    why? there's only one account on that machine and its sitting totally stone idle...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice