1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

12 year old girl sued by the RIAA for music downloading

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by joe2cool, Sep 10, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. joe2cool

joe2cool Thread Starter

12 year old girl sued by the RIAA for music downloading
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96797,00.html

Even though.....The family signed up for the Kazaa (search) music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

:eek:

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

thet settled out of court for 2000 dollars

3. PE2000

PE2000

I think that the RIA should not be allowed to prosecute someone who is only 12 years old. This is over the top and the RIA will just loose this battle if they are going to target our children, who in the end do what they want on there pc`s. This thing should be down to the file sharing company not the users..........

4. clskrk

clskrk

Are they going to prosecute her as an adult?

5. PE2000

PE2000

Well they have apparently settled out of court for a much smaller sum, but thats beside the point, she is a minor and at 12 cannot be held responsible for something like this. I really hope that someone blows the RIA away because they are targeting the wrong people. They should be targeting people selling these cd`s on markets and making money out of them, we all at sometime quite innocently download music for our own use, ok if its being shared amognst other people then the whole concept of a p2p program goes out of the window. Wait for it soon the y will say that you can copyright yourself so anyone taking photos of you out in the street can be sued. :(

6. gws226

gws226

Suckers!!!

Actually, How did they really now it was the 12 year girl... wouldn't all the account information be in her mother's name? :confused:

7. deh

deh

I said it b4 and I'll say it again. Can you say High Anonymous PROXY SERVER? Not full proof but a good monkey wrench nonetheless.

8. PE2000

PE2000

Good point and if it was in the familys name then surely they would protect there daughter from this in someway and take responsibility themselves. Who know, All I know is that I live in the UK and wonder how long it will before F.A.S.T get involved over here. Does anyone know if we are safe or does the log arm of the RIA extend over to the UK

9. clskrk

clskrk

Are they going to come after me if I go to my neighbors and copy a couple songs off cd's they have?
    [​IMG]

10. gws226

gws226

Exactly, this cleary is some propganda scheme where all parties are active participants... (except poor Brianna LaHara... I think her mother hung her out to dry on this one)

I'm even more shocked that they published the MINOR's name!

11. bea@work

[email protected]

No, they will only go after you if you are 12 and live in public housing with your single parent Mom:rolleyes:

12. gws226

gws226

Yea Bea... I would love to see them try to go after some 12 year kid, living in the suburbs, going to a prep school... their parent's lawyers would have this supressed in 1 sec.

They just steamed rolled right over her mother...

Its all a stunt to scare everyone away from file sharing services...
    From the old man they busted last month... to the college student sharing files... to the little girl...

13. gws226

gws226

That doesn't really matter deh... what they are trying to do is scare off enough people so when you log in to try to download something... there just isn't enough of it available...
    (everyone I know has turned off file sharing...even though they still download) Me and my friends turning off sharing took 100's of gigs of music off the internet...

Enough people turn off file sharing and suddenly Kazaa has nothing that you want to download... and you'll be forced to look elsewhere...

So... download all that stuff you want right now... before you log in next time and its all gone...

14. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

Excellent point and one of the problems RIAA will face when someone finally decides to fight rather then settle. Assume you have a communal computer in a frat house, who gets sued? Same with computers in the college library, you can run Kazaa Lite off of a disk you don't need to install it. Who do you sue?

At some point somebody is going to say: "Lets not buy any more music CD's until this stops." It'll take about a month and then the music companies will pull back RIAA.

15. bea@work

[email protected]

They claim they don't know the history or age of any of the people they went after.. but the bottom line is.. even when they did know that she is a 12 year old honor student (obviously trying to do things right) living in public housing with a single parent.. and in New York City .. even if her mother is making a decent amount of money.. she would not have a lot of spare change bringing up 2 kids here! Even knowing that .. they still went after a settlement.. to them not a lot of money.. to the mother it was probably a fortune! Brianna was the (scape goat) example used to scare other kids.. She didn't even know she was doing anything wrong ..poor kid!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice