1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

128bit WEP Key generation in xp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by atconc, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

I'm having trouble getting WEP to work with XP, I've just upgraded one machine from 2k to xp (clean format + install, calling it an upgrade as it's a newer os).

In pre XP versions of windows to get WEP to work I just had to enable 128bit WE, enter the passphrase in the settings for the wifi card and it automatically generated a key, this worked with no problems at all (have a 98SE machine using this method still)

In XP I get the error shown below

[​IMG]

(can't seem to get the image to work, here's a link)
    http://www.nabeelsmum.co.uk/WEP.jpg

it says, "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration, This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 Hexidecimal characters.
    This happens when i enter my password, which is 8 chars long.

I understand that this is asking me to type in the actual key instead of the passphrase, but that's a real pain copying a 26 hex character sequence, twice! Is there a way to get XP to generate the key from the passphrase

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've had this issue in a number of installations, and not just with XP. Also, if you have different brands of wireless gear, it seems you end up doing the hex key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice