1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

13 year old tower pc problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hurdvialjm, Jul 10, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. hurdvialjm

hurdvialjm Thread Starter

so my friend dug this 13-year-old pc out of his shed recently so I took all the parts out and cleaned it and so far I have put the motherboard back in connected it to power and connected to a hard drive and fan but when I turn it on it either beeps before powering up and straight back down again or it will run the power supply and CPU fans for a few seconds before they turn off. Side note i have to wait around 30 seconds before turning it back on or it does nothing

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    CPU overheating, faulty power supply, or maybe faulty motherboard.

Being 13 years old it's probably not very useful or worth putting money into.

3. hurdvialjm

The CPU should not be overheating as it has a fairly bulky heatsink and a large fan but I have a feeling it's probably the power supply as when I connected it up outside the case earlier it got to the Windows XP loading screen then it died. Its sort of just a fun side project to occupy my time

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

power, hard drive and fan, may not be quite enough for an old PC (memory too I hope). If you don't at least have a mouse and keyboard attached it may not start. Also if you didn't remove the heatsink clean and replace the thermal paste, you might have dried out thermal paste which will not be sufficient. Another issue with PC's that have been left off for a long time is the motherboard battery. But that would not stop it from starting, just refuse to keep the bios and date and time correctly. Sometime re-seating the memory sticks can clean the contacts a little and stop memory errors.

5. hurdvialjm

Ok I plugged in a mouse and keyboard and it booted gave me a POST beep then the fan stopped and started and it did the POST beep again before dying completely. Could it be the power supply?

6. kenbok51

kenbok51

If you have a multi-meter you can test the supply to a certain point, that is for proper voltage but not amperage. Using a part of a paper clip you short out the green wire to any black ground wire on the 20/24 pin power connector unplugged from the motherboard which acts just like a power switch does. Start with the power supply switch in the back switched to off when connecting the paper clip and then turn it on. The fans that are connected on the board still to the power supply should turn on and run as well as the power supplies fan.

With the multimeter set to above 12 volts dc put the negative lead into any black hole (you might have to rig something if the multimeters probes will not fit into the power supplies holes. Then test the different colored wires, Yellow is typically 12 volts red is 5 and brown is 3 volts and there are a few others (grey or purple) that are also 5 volts. Either the grey or the purple are what is used for a power on self test that flashes 5 volts back to the motherboard as a test and if it fails to get a signal back it shuts down.

I always like to have an extra power supply on hand myself, so buying one to test would be a way for you to go. Your problem with such an old PC would be the number of molex plugs as apposed to sata power plugs. New supplies have very few molex power connectors and mostly sata power. If that's the case, you would also need a few sata power to molex splitters for a PC with more molex than sata power requirements. CD/DVD drives of that era are almost always molex rather than sata and IDE hard drives will be molex as well. You can search for molex power connectors to see what they look like.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Multimeters are great but don't give the whole picture. Nothing beats trying a known working power supply.

FYI,dDoesn't matter how big a heat-sink is if it's loose or not installed correctly.

8. hurdvialjm

Hi thanks for the advice i do not have a multimeter but i tried the paper clip and the fans spun up then died

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!